Students must be advised before being admitted into the program. The following documents must be on file with the Department of EMS Education before scheduling an advising sessions:
- Current health insurance card
- Driver's license
- Current TB skin test
- Current flu/H1N1 vaccination
- Must have started the Hepatitis B vaccination series
- MMR (two dates: original immunization and booster)
- Tetanus within the last 10 years
- Varicella (chicken pox) : immunization or verification of anitbody titer
- Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR
- Drug and background check (instructions are located in the New Student Packet)
- Current EMS license holders: Current National Registry certification and state EMT, Advanced EMT, or Intermediate license. An Alabama state license is required for admission to the EMS program. If you are an out-of-state EMS license holder or transferring from a non-National Registry state, please contact David Garmon for Alabama EMS licensure requirements. He can be contacted at email@example.com.
- HOBET V score of 60 or above and National Registry Advanced EMT/Intermediate certification and state Advanced EMT/Intermediate license for students wishing to enroll in the Paramedic Program. Click for HOBET V information.
- International students must submit a TOEFL score of 80 or above before entry to the EMS program will be approved. The IELTS exam will not be used as an admission requirement to the Department of EMS Education.
If you don't have a CPR card or it has expired, the Department of EMS Education holds classes in Healthcare Provider CPR on the first Monday of every month; classes are from 8:30 am-11:30 am. The cost of the class is $40 and can be paid at the department or via credit/debit card over the phone. Payment has to be made to reserve your spot.
Once you get those documents, you can schedule a time to turn them in to our secretary, Lindsey Johnston. Once you have cleared the background check, then you will be allowed to schedule your advising session.
Advising Packets can be downloaded here: