Library Resources for HY 552
These reference sources may help you find good information for this class. This page is by no means comprehensive; rather, it is intended to serve as a starting point for your research and assignments. For further assistance, please contact the Reference Desk.
SOUTHcat catalog lists books, journals (not articles), government documents and media materials available in this library. Can be searched by keywords, subject heading, title of book or journal or by author name.
Search tips for limiting to primary sources:
- Include one or more of the following search terms in a keyword search to limit a search to primary sources: "correspondence," "diaries," "personal narratives," "interviews," "letters," and "sources."
- Use truncation symbol (?) to broaden search terms.
Do an "author" search:
- More Thomas
Sample searches on SOUTHcat:
- women --history --renaissance, 1450-1600 --encyclopedias
- renaissance --encyclopedias
- renaissance --biography --dictionaries
- Europe --history --1492-1648
- Europe --history --15th century
- renaissance philosophy
- renaissance (religion or theology)
- renaissance politic?
- renaissance humanism
- "economic history" "15th century"
- "early modern Europe"
Indexes to Books, Chapters in Books, and Dissertations
- WorldCat (First Search) An index to books and other materials in libraries worldwide. Can be searched by keyword, subject heading, author or title. No full text.
- ACRL Humanities E-Book Project Full text to books of major importance in historical studies. (All titles appear in SOUTHcat but best search results are from E-Book website.)
- NetLibrary All records appear in SOUTHcat and can be searched with keyword or subject searches from the NetLibrary site. Must register and establish user name and password to check out book for four hours.
- Dissertation Abstracts/Digital Dissertations Searchable by author, keyword or institution. USA theses submitted in pdf format are available online at no charge.
- Essay and General Literature Index Marx Library Reference (2nd floor North) AI 3 .E752 (1900-1998)
- Oxford Reference Online Full-text access to over 175 Oxford University Press publications.
Selected Reference Books
- Encyclopedia of Women in the Renaissance. Reference HQ 1148 .W67 2007
- Oxford Dictionary of the Renaissance. Reference CB 361 .C27 2003
- Encyclopedia of the Renaissance. Reference CB 361 .E52 1999 vol. 1-6
- Contemporaries of Erasmus. Reference PA 8500 1974 Suppl. Vol. 1-3
- New Cambridge Modern History. Bookstacks D 208 .N4 (v. 1: The Renaissance, 1493-1520)
- Cambridge History of Renaissance Philosophy. Reference B 775 .C25 1988
- Encyclopedia of the Renaissance and the Reformation. Bookstacks CB 359 .B47 2004
- Companion to the Worlds of the Renaissance. Bookstacks CB 367 .C65 2002
- Handbook of European history, 1400-1600. Bookstacks D 203 .H36 1996 vol. 1-2
- Cambridge History of Political Thought, 1450-1700. Bookstacks JA 81 .C283 1991
- Women and Gender in Early Modern Europe. Bookstacks HQ 1587 .W54 2000
- Oxford Encyclopedia of the Reformation. Reference BR 302.8 .O93 1996
Indexes to Journals and Articles
Some indexes will also have links to full-text of the articles. Dates of full-text coverage may vary with different databases. One way to check availability is to use "Our Journal List" on the library homepage. Electronic databases and indexes are under "Articles, Indexes and Databases” on the Marx Library homepage.
- JSTOR. A collection of full-text journals in which the latest issues are at least 3 to 5 years old, but the holdings often extend back many years. The journals may be searched separately or by discipline.
- Project Muse. A collection of full-text journals which provides current coverage of journals, including many of the titles in JSTOR.
- Periodicals Archive Online. Backfiles of journals in humanities and social sciences up to 2000.
- Expanded Academic ASAP (Gale/InfoTrac). Some full-text. Includes book reviews.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO) Some full-text. Includes book reviews.
- Sage Journals Online. Full text journal content for all titles.
- Wiley InterScience. Many citations link to full text.
Internet Resources for Primary Material
- Avalon Project
- Primary Sources on the Web
- Internet Medieval Sourcebook (Renaissance)
Library Resource Guides
Resource guides created by librarians at USA: