The following is a quick guide to searching certain legal information. Contact Reference Services for assistance with finding additional information. We may be reached at the number above, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or Live Chat under Ask a Librarian on the University Library homepage.
Searching for Alabama Code:
1. At the LexisNexis main screen, click on Legal tab. This will allow you to search just legal sources.
As an example, we will look for Alabama Code 13a-11-8.
2. On the right side of the screen is the Legal Search sub-category. Click on Federal & State Codes under this area.
3. Under the Federal & State Codes screen, you will choose Natural Language, and under Select Sources choose State Codes, Constitutions, Court Rules, and ALS...
4. Next, click on the + sign next to the word Show, this will help narrow your results. Under Section, choose STATE and under Terms, type Alabama.
5. Under Enter Search Terms in the white box type the code or topic you are looking for and click on.
6. The code you are looking for should appear in the results list.
7. Print. Select the case(s) you want. Click on the printer icon in upper right corner of the frame. A new window will open. If you want full text, select Full Document in Document View. You may modify to print a list of citations or an expanded list of citations. Document Range will show how many documents you have selected to print. You may make other modifications to instructions if you would like. Click on . A message will appear which says “your request is being formatted.” When formatting is complete the printer dialog box will open. Select Print.
If using Library TRACcard printer, enter user name and password. Title bar on dialog box will change to Delivery Complete. Close window.
8. Email. Select the case(s) you want to send by email. Click on email icon in upper right corner of the frame. A new window will open. Select whether you want to Send As an attachment or inline text. Then choose Email format. There are five choices under the drop down menu, choose only Text or HTML to make sure you can read the document on any computer. Type in your email address. In Document View, select Full Document, List or one of the other options. Document Range will show how many documents you have selected to email. You may make other modifications if you wish. Click on . You will see a message that request if being formatted, then message will change to request is now being sent. Title bar on dialog box will change to Delivery Complete. Close window.
9. Download/Save. Select case or cases you want to save. Click on in upper right corner of frame. Another window will open. Select format Text only (Word or HTML may not work). In Document View select whether you want full document or one of the other options. Click . NOTE: You will see a message that your request is being formatted. The message will change to show two options for downloading. The first, “right click on the link above” will not work on Library public computers. This option will work on your personal computer or in one of the computer labs on campus. The second option is “click on the link…and save using your word processing application. Click on the link. A dialog box will appear asking if you want to open or save. Choose Open (Save will not work on public computers), then go to File, then Save as. Drives that will work in the library are A: or F: (drive name may vary and this option will only appear if you have a flash drive in the USB port).
Questions (email@example.com) or call (251) 460-7025.
Back to SOUTHcat Plus
Last updated: 11/13/07. te