H P E L S
The following is a guide to library resources that may prove useful. It is not an exhaustive list; please consult a reference librarian for help in locating additional materials. The guide covers major reference sources in the fields of health education, physical education, recreation/ leisure services, and dance.
Questions? Call or E-mail us at email@example.com
- AAHPERD. American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.http://www.aahperd.org
- National Recreation and Park Association. http://www.nrpa.org
JOURNAL DATABASES & BIBLIOGRAPHIES
- For the next five items, link through “Articles, Indexes, Databases” on the Library home page.
SPORT Discus. Select EBSCO and scroll down to this subscription database. Select.
ERIC. 1966- . EBSCO
- The major education database includes documents as well as journal articles; may be searched
- Professional Development Collection. EBSCO. Complete texts of articles.
Education Research Complete. EBSCO.
Health Source: Nursing Academic Edition. EBSCO.
- This is one of several health-oriented EBSCO databases.
- Physical Education Index. Ref. Z 6121 .P5 (Coverage through 2000.)
Physical Education Digest. http://www.pedigest.com
- Articles can be identified and ordered at this website.
- Professional Collection. Link through Gale/InfoTrac
Research in Dance: A Guide to Resources. Ref. GV 1594 .B6 1994
Digest of Education Statistics. Gov Docs SuDocs # ED 1.326
Statistical Abstract of the United States. Ready Ref. HA 203 .A299 (also in Gov Docs)
American Statistics Index. Gov Docs Ref. Z 7554 .U5 A46
National Center for Health Statistics. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs
- Encyclopedia of Associations. Ready Ref. HS 17 .G334
- Use the keyword index in vol. 3 to look up professional and scholarly organizations in HPELS fields and others. Our latest is 2002. Baugh Library has 2003.
- Sports Market Place. MCOB Business Library GV 563 .U5 S667 Latest only.
Guide To ACA Accredited Camps http://www.acacamps.org
RULES AND ETHICS
Sports Ethics: A Reference Handbook. Ref. GV 706.3 .B47 1994
Ethics in Sport. Bookstacks GV 706.3 .E86 2001
NCAA Division I Manual. Ref. GV 563 .N25297 Latest edition only.
Legal Handbook on School Athletics. Ref. KF 4166 .Z9 L44 1997
Allen and Hanburys Athletic Drug Reference.. Ref. RC 1230 A45 1994
Biomedical Library has 2001 (QT 260 .A425)
Official Rules of Tennis. Ref. GV 1001 .O44 2000
BIOGRAPHIES AND ENCYCLOPEDIAS
- For Catalog searching of author / subject, use last name first. Example: higgs robert
Biography and Genealogy Master Index.
- Electronic access through "E-Reference Sources"on the Library home page.
- International Encyclopedia of Women and Sports 3 vols. Ref. GV 709 .I58 2001
Biographical Dictionary of American Sports: 1992-1995 Supplement. Ref. GV 697 .A1 B494 1995
Published at intervals. Browse in Reference GV section.
Encyclopedia of College Basketball. Ref. GV 885.7 .D68 1995
Encyclopedia of Recreation and Leisure. Ref. GV 53 .E53 2004
African American Sports Greats. Ref. GV 697 .A1 F37 1995
Historical Dictionary of the Modern Olympic Movement. Ref. GV 721.5 .H546 1996
Encyclopedia of World Sport: From Ancient Times to the Present. Ref. GV 567 .E56 1996
Sports: the Complete Visual Reference. Ref. GV 704 .S663 2000
Encyclopedia of Sports Medicine. Bookstacks RC 1206 .O355 2006
Biographical Dictionary of the Sports Hall of Fame. Ref. GV 877 .B27 1996
Out of the Shadows: A Biographical History of African American Athletes.
Bookstacks GV 697 .A1 O98 2006
STATISTICS AND RECORDS
- Chronicle of the Olympics, 1896-1996. Ref. GV 721 .C57 1996
College Football Records: Division 1-A and the Ivy League, 1869-1984. Ref. GV 950 .B35 1987
Negro Leagues Book. Ref. GV 863 .A1 N434 1994
Track and Field Record Holders. Ref. GV 697 .A1 B336 1996
Ultimate Guide to College Football: Rankings, Records, and Scores. Ref. GV956.8 .Q85q85 2004
Americans at Play: Demographics of Outdoor Recreation and Travel.
- MCOB Business Library GV 191.4 .W44 1997
- Baseball Encyclopedia. Ref. GV 877 .B27 1996; go to IMC for CD-ROM
Statistical Encyclopedia of North American Professional Sports. Ref. GV 581 .G37 2008
Career Opportunites in the Sports Industry. Career Counter/Ref. GV 734 .F545 2004
Career Opportunities in the Travel Industry. Career Counter/Ref. G 155.7 .C65 2004
Careers in Travel, Tourism and Hospitality. Bookstacks G 155.5 .E24 2006
Opportunities in Sports and Fitness Careers. Bookstacks GV 734.3 .H45 2003
SOUTHcat CATALOG SEARCHES
Capital letters not necessary for SOUTHcat searching, not even for boolean operators such as
"and." Don't use any punctuation-this includes hyphens and apostrophes. The default search
assumes Boolean. Example: sports injuries
Subject-- Keyword (default)
Games physical education
Sports olympics and history
Sports medicine sports medicine
Physiology automobile racing
AIDS disease AIDS disease
Sports united states finance hospitality industry
Keyword with boolean (and, or), use quotation marks around phrases:
“Sports accidents” and injuries “South alabama” and “physical education”and diss?
Note: For ERIC searching, consult the Thesaurus of ERIC Descriptors, which is held in the Reference
department. An electronic edition is available as a link from ERICon EBSCO.