The following is a guide to library resources that may prove useful. It is
not an exhaustive list; please consult a reference librarian for help in locating
additional materials. email@example.com
I. FINDING THAT POEM
A poem is not normally entered under its own title
in library catalogs, except for long poems such as Beowulf. Ask yourself
what you know about the poem. Do you know the title or author? Do you remember
the first line? Are you looking for a poem on a certain subject or for a
You can do an author search on SOUTHcat (example: frost
robert When the index is retrieved look for words such as "complete" or
"collected" in the titles, or "poetry of" or "poems." However, there are many
single-author books that give no title clues. You may just have to browse contents
pages in books by the author to find the poem. Ask a reference librarian for
If searching the Catalog fails, there are some special
finding aids listed below.
A few examples are listed. Ask a reference librarian for further assistance.
American Verse Project. http://www.hti.umich.edu
Internet Poetry Archive. http://www.ibiblio.org/ipa/
LitFinder: http://libproxy.usouthal.edu/login?url=http://go.galegroup.com/ps/start.do?p=LITF&u=naal_usam (USA ID)
Modern American Poetry. http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets.htm
FINDING A WELL-KNOWN POEM
- Columbia Granger's Index to Poetry. Ref. Desk/Ref.
PN 1022 .G7
The Columbia Granger's Index To Poetry in Collected & Selected Works. Ref. PN 1022 .C63 1996
- Granger's Index To Poetry. Ref. PN 1022 .C63 1996
- These index poems in anthologies(many authors). There is a title/first
line index, and separate author and subject indexes. Library has several
Best bet: look at some of the early editions.
- Last Lines: An Index To the Last Lines of Poetry. 2 vols.
- Ref. PN 1022 .K55 1991
- The Top 500 Poems. Ref. PR 1175 .C6417 1992
- Not an index, this is a selection of poems noted in Granger's.
- Women's Poetry Index. Ref. PN 1024 .G89 1985
FINDING A CONTEMPORARY POEM
Also try these catalog searches: poetry indexes (subject)
and poetry and indexes (keyword)
- Roth's American Poetry Annual. Ref. PS
- A brief anthology of the year's work and a
directory are followed by a unified index; Poems from both periodicals and
collections were covered (1988-1990)
- Index of American Periodical Verse. Ref. PN 1021
- This annual publication indexes small press literary or "little
- Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature. Ref.
AI 3 .R48
- Look under the heading "poems." Library has through 1999
- Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature Retrospective
- Indexing only through 1982. Link through Articles, Indexes and Databases.
- Humanities Index. Ref. AI 3 .H84 Use heading
"poems." Through 1998.
Capitalization not necessary.
II. FINDING POETRY CRITICISM
Ask a Reference librarian for advice on selecting a database or print source
The following are subscription databases, and available only through
the University Library home page.
- Literary Resources on the Net. Jack Lynch. http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Lit
- VoS: Voice of the Shuttle. English Literature Main Page. http://vos.ucsb.edu/browse.asp?id=3
Require a sign-on for authentication. On campus (the campus domain) most are
available w/o password. Databases must be accessed through the Library homepage.
Click on "Articles, Indexes, Databases."
Search Complete (EBSCO)
- This is a general database which includes some scholarly literature journals,
some full text.
Academic ASAP (InfoTrac)
- Another general database with some literary journals full text.
- MLA Bibliography.
- Online subscription
database accessible through home page. Coverage of collected essays and journals
on literature, language, and folklore. Comprehensive. No abstracts or full
text. Print version available through 1997. Ref. Z 7006 .M64
- Accessible through Library home page. Go to Electronic Reference Books.
SOUTHcat SEARCH EXAMPLES
English poetry explication bibliography
American poetry explication bibliography
English poetry history and criticism bibliography
American poetry history and criticism bibliography
Or just key in english poetry or american poetry. Select
from the list of subheadings.
"frost robert" and criticism "american poetry"
or call (251) 460-7025.
Back to SOUTHcat Plus
Last updated: 7/12/11 kpw