HISTORY OF ASIAN CIVILIZATION II
Dr. Harry Miller
SOUTHcat: USA Libraries' Catalog
Use the catalog to locate books, journal subscriptions, videos/dvds and government documents in this library.
Sample Subject Searches:
Sample Keyword (AND with Relevance) Searches (be careful to use only one space between words):
Google Books -- http://books.google.com full view of books out-of-copyright (approx. 1925 and earlier.) Downloadable. Previews and snippets of more current books.
Reference Books in our Library:
- Political Leaders of Modern China. Ref. DS 755.3 .P64 2002
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Chinese Culture. Ref. DS 779.23 .E53 2005
- Modern Japan. Ref. DS 805. M63 1998.
- Encyclopedia of Modern Asia. Ref. DS 4.E53 2002
- Atlas of the Peoples Republic of China. Ref. G 2305 .A85 1989
- Atlas of Japan. Ref./Atlas G 2355 .K65 1974
- Chinese Biographical Dictionary. Ref. DS 734 .G47 1975
- Columbia Chronologies of Asian History and Culture. Ref. DS 33 .C63 2000
- Cambridge Encyclopedia of China. Ref. DS 705 .C35
- Cambridge Illustrated History of China. Ref. DS 706 .E37 1999
- Cambridge Encyclopedia of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan and the Maldives. Ref. DS 334 .C36 1989
- Chinese Biographical Dictionary. Ref. DS 734. G47 1975
- Encyclopedia of Asian History. Ref. DS 31 .E53 1988
- Encyclopedia of China. Ref. DS 705 .P47 1999
- Encyclopedia of Japan. Ref. DS 805 .P47 1991
- Great Thinkers of the Eastern World. Ref. B 5005 .G74 1995
- Historical Atlas of South Asia. Ref. G 2261 .S1 H5 1978
- Japan Encyclopedia. Ref. DS 805 .D355 1995
- State of China Atlas. Ref. G 2305 .B46
- Whos Who in the Peoples Republic of China. Ref. DS 778 .A1 B33 1981
ACLS Humanities E-Book. Available through the catalog or Articles, Indexes, Databases Very selective collection of fulltext books in the humanities.
NetLibrary -- 12,000 current, full-text books are now available online through the catalog or through Electronic Books link on the homepage. Create an account (very top right corner of NetLibrary) in order to read these books.
http://worldcat.org. Use this to find out what is published on a topic. No full-text, citations only. Enter your zip code to find out what nearby libraries own the item.
Articles--Articles, Indexes, and Databases --Available on campus and remotely (login with last name and first 2 letters of your first name(NOT your initials), then Jag Number)
JSTOR. A collection of full-text journals which are usually at least 3 to 5 years old, but often extend back many years. The journals may be searched separately or as a group. Some relevant journals in JSTOR are in the Asian Studies and Middle East Studies collections.
Project Muse. Full-text access to current issues of humanities and social science journals.
Periodicals Archive Online. Similar to JSTOR. Content up to 1995.
Sage Journals Online. Full-text journals of this publisher from 1999 to the present.
Academic Search Premier. (EBSCO) Some full-text. Includes book reviews.
Academic OneFile (Gale/InfoTrac). Some full-text. Includes book reviews.
Expanded Academic ASAP (Gale/InfoTrac). Citations and some full text articles from magazines, newspapers, and academic journals.
SocIndex with Fulltext. (EBSCO). Includes some full-text.
LexisNexis: World News: Asia/Pacific News Sources --current newspaper articles (selected titles)
Google Scholar. Google's attempt at a scholarly database. Useful for identifying some books and articles, but often will not link to full-text. Set your preferencess to University of South Alabama. Links to JSTOR articles, but you must log-in if off-campus. Does link to Google Books for full-text of books that Google has scanned and are out-of-copyright. Click on Library Search to see if the USA Libraries hold a book.
Oxford University Press. Full-text for 152 Oxford publications
Cambridge Journals Online. Full-text for the journals we subscribe to in print. Use the Advanced search. Sepoy 1857
To access full-text articles if you have the citation information:
Use Our Journal List on the Library Homepage to find an article in a journal to which we subscribe. Type in the name of the journal, not the title of the article.
Use InterLibrary Loan on the Library Homepage under the yellow "Information and Services" banner to order books and articles from other libraries if we do not own them. First-time users are asked to set up an account with a login and password you will remember. Then you may order items, check the status and renew online using your own login and password.
Bedford/St. Martin Documentation
Chicago Manual of Style Quick guide
Turabian Citation Guide
Evaluating Web Sites: Be careful choosing information from public websites. Here are some of the ways you can sort the junk from the good stuff.Selected Web Sites:
JGuide: Stanford Guide to Japan Information Resources http://jguide.stanford.edu
Asian History http://www.lib.washington.edu/subject/History/tm/asian.html
Internet Indian History Sourcebook http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/india/indiasbook.html
Portals to the World
Country information of all kinds put together by the subject experts of the Library of Congress.
Country Studies http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/cshome.html
Country Studies Area Handbook Series (Library of Congress - Federal Research Division)
Plagiarism and Turnitin
What is plagiarism?
Academic Integrity and Turnitin