Locating Books and Chapters in Books
- SOUTHcat: USA Libraries Catalog
- Contains records for books, e-books, journals, CD-ROMs, CDs, DVDs, videos, and government documents held by the libraries at the University of South Alabama. It does not list journal articles.
- WorldCat (FirstSearch)
- An index to books or other materials in libraries worldwide. Can be searched by keyword, subject heading, author, or title. No full-text, but there are links to Interlibrary Loan request forms.
- WorldCat (worldcat.org)
- The public internet version of WorldCat. Focus of search is on finding materials in a library near your location. Also has links to Interlibrary Loan.
- Google Books
- Part of Google's library-scanning project. Only books in the public domain are shown in full text. Others may have just a citation or show selected pages from the book.
- ACLS Humanities E-Book Project
- Full text to books of major importance in historical studies. All titles appear in SOUTHcat Catalog but the best search results are from the e-book website.
Use the indexes below to identify articles on specific topics, as well as to locate full-text electronic articles. Find over 100 subscribed databases on the Articles, Indexes, and Databases page linked from the Library Homepage
- Communication and Mass Media Complete (EBSCO)
- Over 700 journals indexed, 380 with full text
- A collection of full-text journals in which the latest issues are at least 3 to 5 years old, but the holdings often extend back many years. The journals may be searched separately or by discipline.
- Reader's Guide Retrospective
- Indexes popular press articles from 1890-1982
- Periodicals Archive Online
- Backfiles of journals in humanities and social sciences up to 2000.
- Sage Journals Online
- Multidisciplinary. Most articles are full text.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO)
- General index; covers many disciplines. Many full-text articles.
- SocINDEX with Full Text
- Abstracts for more than 1200 "core" sociology journals, with full-text for 777. Indexing and some full-text for books, monographs, conference papers.
- LexisNexis Academic
- National and international newpapers, law reviews, transcripts, codes, statutes, statistics and more.
- Newspaper Source (EBSCO)
- Full text newspapers
- Proquest Newspapers
- Full text newspapers
- Ethnic Newswatch Complete (Proquest)
- Small ethnic newspapers.
- New York Times Index
- UL Reference AI 21 .N45 (print indexes); Proquest Newspapers (1980-present), NY Times website (1851-present)
- Times (London) Index
- Microfiche (1790-1905), Microfilm (1906-67), UL Reference AI 21 .T55 (1968-1998), LexisNexis Academic (1985-present)
Many major newspaper websites now offer the ability to search their archives, although they may charge a fee to access the full-text. Before purchasing any article, check library holdings to see if we have access.
- The New York Times
- The Washington Post
- The Chicago Tribune
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution Historic Archive
- Times-Picayune Historical Archive
These are just a few of the newspapers in our holdings. Search SOUTHcat to determine holdings for other titles.
- Mobile Press-Register
- Microfilm (1821 - present), Electronic (1992 - present), Print (6 months ago - present)
- The New York Times
- Microfilm (1851 - present), Electronic (1980 - present), Print (current)
- The Times (London)
- Microfilm (1780 - 2000), Electronic (2000 - present)
- Christian Science Monitor
- Microfilm (1970 - 1989)
- Chicago Defender
- Microfilm (1956 - 1970)
- Louisiana Weekly
- Microfilm (1939 - 1970)
Our Journal List
This is the database of all the journals we subscribe to in print and electronically. Once you have a citation to an article, go to Our Journal List to see if the Libraries have a subscription to the particular volume, issue, and year of the journal you need. Call us at 460-7025 if you have any question about the availablity of these journals. (Note: Some magazine and journal publishers "embargo" the latest six months or year of electronic versions. This means that the most recent issues will not be available online for six months or a year from their publication date.)
Bound print journals are shelved by call number on Third Floor South. Current print journals and journals in microform are shelved alphabetically by title on Second Floor South
Selected Journals and Magazines
Journalism & Communications Journals
- Journal for Multimedia History
- Media History
- Media History Monographs
Select "Journalism & Communications" under "Browse Journals by Subject" on the Our Journal List page to see other journals in our collection.
These are just a few of the magazines in our holdings. Search SOUTHcat to determine holdings for other titles.
- Atlantic Monthly
- Microfiche (1857 - 1905), Print (1947, 1954, 1960-2010)
- Microfilm (1960 - 1998), Print (1962 - 1980)
- Harper's Magazine (Harper's Monthly)
- Microfiche (1850 - 1904), Microfilm (1972 - 1974), Print (1934 - 2010)
- Print (1936 - 1972), Electronic (1936 - 1972 freely accessible)
- Microfilm (1967-1971), Print (1961 - 1966)
- The Nation
- Microfiche (1865 - 1885), Print (1943 - 1980)
- The New Yorker
- Microfilm (1965 - 2009), Print (1958 - 1980)
- Saturday Evening Post
- Microfilm (1942 - 1945), Print (1938 - 1967), Electronic (1931 - present in Academic Search Premier)
- Microfilm (1923 - 2009), Electronic (1923 - present freely accessible
Selected Search Terms and Books
Suggested search terms using "Subject Heading Keyword" or Keyword search option
- "women journalists"
- "women in journalism"
- "mass media"
- "history in mass media"
- "American newspapers"
- press "United States"
- journalism "United States"
- "war correspondents"
- "radio journalism"
- "African American journalists"
- "press and politics"
- "radio broadcasting"
- "television broadcasting"
- "sensationalism in journalism"
- "African Americans in radio broadcasting"
- "African American radio stations"
- "African American newspapers"
- Alphabet to internet: Mediated communication in our lives
- Bookstacks P 90 .F264 2008
- The American journalist: A portrait of U.S. news people and their work
- Bookstacks PN 4871 .W4 1986
- Debating the issues in colonial newspapers: Primary documents on the events of the period
- Bookstacks E 187 .C78 2000
- The Greenwood library of American war reporting
- Bookstacks D 5 .G84 2005
- A history of American literary journalism: The emergence of a modern narrative form
- Bookstacks PS 366 .R44 H37 2000
- History of the mass media in the United States: An encyclopedia
- UL Reference P 92 .U5 H54 1998
- Pages from the past: History and memory in American magazines
- Bookstacks PN 4877 .K58 2005
- The press and America: An interpretive history of the mass media
- Bookstacks PN 4855 .E6 1988
- Voices of a nation: A history of mass media in the United States
- Bookstacks P 92 .U5 F58 2002
Selected Internet Resources
- Ad*Access (Duke University)
- American Memory (Library of Congress)
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers (Library of Congress)
- Emergence of Advertising in America (Duke University)
- Fireside Chats of Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Library of American Broadcasting (University of Maryland)
- Library of Congress Digital Collections
- Making of America (Cornell University)
- Making of America (University of Michigan)
- Vanderbilt Television News Archive
Library Resource Guides
- Chicago Manual of Style: University Library Ready Reference, Reserve, and Bookstacks, call number Z 253 .U69
- Chicago Citation-Style Quick Guide
- Chicago Manual of Style resources from the OWL at Purdue
- Chicago-Turabian Style Crib Sheet