USA's SOUTHcat Catalog--Reference and circulating books, government documents, and audio-visuals and electronic books. "History," "Bookbag," "Hold/Recall", "My Account." Can set limits by language. Use ? for truncation in keyword searching.
"latin america? "popular culture"
"latin america?" civilization
"costa rica" econom?
NetLibrary. Though "Electronic Books" link on the homepage or through the USA SOUTHcat Catalog.
ACLS Humanities E-Book--careful selection of 1500 full-text humanities (mostly history) books online. Same access as above.
WorldCat.org--huge catalog of 100s of libraries combined. Not full-text. Use it for the broadest book search possible. Identification of other libraries' holdings and a link to our ILL.
Google Books Project--http://books.google.com. Some out-of-copyright (old) full-text, downloadable books; many still protected with 'limited preview' or snippets available.
A Few Reference Books:
Encyclopedia of Contemporary Latin American and Caribbean Cultures. REF F 1406.E515 2000 V3.
Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture. Ref F 1406.E53 1995
South American Handbook. Bookstacks F 1401.S71
Europa World Year Book. Ready Ref JN 1 .E85 2007 2v. history, government, economics, statistical survey
Encyclopedia of the North American Free Trade Agreement, the New American Community, and Latin-American trade. . . .Ref HC 94 .R668
The following can be found on the Articles, Indexes, and Databases page unless otherwise stated. For most of the following use "quotes around phrases" and an asterisk * for truncation.
- Academic Search Premier. Ebsco. General database--some journals in almost every field of study. Some full-text. Includes book reviews.
- Expanded Academic ASAP. Gale/InfoTrac General academic database--same as above/
- Academic OneFile. Gale/ InfoTrac. General database. Broader coverage than previous entry. Many full-text. Includes book reviews.
- JSTOR. Collection of full-text journals which are usually at least 3 to 5 years old, but often extend back many years. The journals may be searched separately or as disciplinary groups. Several languages. "Quotation marks" for phrases, * for truncation. May limit to language and/or Latin American Studies.
- Project Muse. 260+ current full text journals (mostly humanities). May limit by language.
- Oxford Journals Online
- Periodical Articles Online. similar to JSTOR. May limit by language
- LexisNexis. current news articles. International. Includes "Non-English Language News." (NB: exclamation point ! for truncation)
- Sage Journals Online. provides online access to the full text of individual SAGE (a publisher) journals.
- Literature indexes:
- MLA. EBSCO. An literature and linguistics index of journal articles, books and dissertations,
- Literature Resource Center. Gale/InfoTrac;
- Literary Reference Center. EBSCO.
- Biography Reference Bank. ProQuest. Biographical essays from several sources and links to more current articles.
- Informe. Gale/InfoTrac. full-text articles from popular Spanish-language and bilingual periodicals.
- ClasePeriodica. FirstSearch. Index of Latin American journals in the sciences and humanities.
- Business indexes:
- Emerald Library. EBSCO
- Business Source Premier,.EBSCO
- General Business File ASAP. Gale/InfoTrac
- Google Scholar -- set preferences to University of South Alabama to activate links to our subscriptions. Links to some academic books and articles; most are not fulltext, some are. It is useful for verifying a citation and finding who cited whom.
Useful Web Sites:
Smart Web Searching:
Online Style Guides:
- Bedford/St. Martin Sample Paper and Documentation
- EBSCO makes citations when set in email, print or save mode. Set as brief citation, then APA, MLA or Chicago.