Library Resources for HY 431
These sources may help you find good information for this class. This page is by no means comprehensive; rather, it is intended to serve as a starting point for your research. For further assistance, please contact the Reference Desk.
The SOUTHcat catalog contains records for books, e‐books, journals, CD‐ROMs, CDs, DVDs, videos, and government documents held by the libraries at the University of South Alabama. It does not list journal articles(see "Indexes to Journals and Articles" below) Click here for video tutorials of the search process.
Search tips for Limiting to Primary Sources::
•Include one or more of the following search terms in a keyword search to limit a search to primary sources: correspondence, diaries, personal narratives, interviews, letters and sources. Use truncation symbol (?) to broaden search terms.
•Do an author search:
King, Martin Luther
Kennedy, John F.
•Sample Searches on SOUTHcat Catalog:
"united states" "20th century" sources
"african americans" sources
newspaper? "united states" bibliograph?
women "united states" diar?
labor? history "20th century"
"southern states" historiography
"southern states" "politics and government"
"southern states" "race relations"
"southern states" autobiography
"health services" history "united states"
Selected Print Resources for Primary Material in USA Library
- Afro-American History: Primary Sources. Bookstacks E 184.6 .F7
- Annals of America. Reference E 173 .A793
- Encyclopedia of American Historical Documents. Reference E 173 .E54 2004 (3 vols.)
- Greenwood Library of American War Reporting. Bookstacks D 5 .G84 2005
- Immigration and Multiculturalism: Essential Primary Sources. Bookstacks JV 6465 .I4737 2006
- Major Problems in African-American History: Documents and Essays. Bookstacks E 185 .M35 2000
- Major Problems in American History Since 1945: Documents and Essays. Bookstacks E 743 .M257 2007
- Major Problems in American Indian History: Documents and Essays. Bookstacks E 77.2 .M35 2001
- Major Problems in American Military History: Documents and Essays. Bookstacks E 181 .M118 1998
- Major Problems in American Religious History: Documents and Essays. Bookstacks BR 515 .M18 2000
- Major Problems in American Sport History: Documents and Essays. Bookstacks GV 583 .M28 1997
- Major Problems in American Urban and Suburban History: Documents and Essays. Bookstacks HT 123 .M385 2005
- Major Problems in American Women's History: Documents and Essays. Bookstacks HQ 1410 .M34 2007
- Major Problems in the History of American Medicine and Public Health: Documents and Essays. Bookstacks R 151 .M35 2001
- Major Problems in the History of American Workers: Documents and Essays. Bookstacks HD 8066 .M34 2003
- Milestone Documents in American History: Exploring the Primary Sources That Shaped America. Reference E 173 .M55 2008
- Primary Sources of American Government. Bookstacks JK 11 1965 .N4
- Reading Our Lives: Southern Autobiography Anthology. Bookstacks F 208 .R43 1997
- Remembering Jim Crow: African Americans Tell About Life in the Segregated South. Bookstacks E 185.61 .R4 2001
- Vietnam War: Handbook of the Literature and Research. Reference DS 558 .V58 1993
- Voice of the People: Primary Sources on the History of American Labor, Industrial Relations, and Working-Class Culture. Bookstacks HD 8066 .V65 2004
- Oxford English Dictionary Online etymology, quotations, definitions--20 volumes
- Dictionary of American Biography. Reference E 176 .D566
- American National Biography. Reference CT 213 .A68 1999
- New Encyclopedia of Southern Culture. Reference F 209 .N47 2006
WorldCat (FirstSearch) An index to books and other materials in libraries worldwide. Can be searched by keyword, subject heading, author or title. No full text.
WorldCat (worldcat.org) This web version allows you to discover how close items are to your location.
ACLS Humanities E-Book Project. Full text to books of major importance in historical studies. (All titles appear in SOUTHcat Catalog but best search results are from E-Book website)
NetLibrary. All records appear in the SOUTHcat Catalog and can be searched with keyword or subject searches from the NetLibrary site. Must register and establish user name and password to check out book for four hours.
Dissertation Abstracts/Digital Dissertations. Searchable by author, keyword or institution. USA theses submitted in pdf format are available online at no charge.
Google Books. http://books.google.com. Part of Google's library-scanning project.
Indexes to Journal and Newspaper Articles
Some indexes will also have links to full-text of the articles. Dates of full-text coverage may vary with different databases. One way to check availability is to use "Our Journal List" under "Articles, Indexes and Databases” on the University Library homepage (SOUTHcat Plus).
- History Cooperative Journals: includes American Historical Review, Journal of American History and William and Mary Quarterly
- JSTOR. A collection of full-text journals in which the latest issues are at least 3 to 5 years old, but the holdings often extend back many years. The journals may be searched separately or by discipline.
- Lexis Nexis Academic: News articles, news wire services, broadcast transcripts.
- Periodicals Archive Online. Backfiles of journals in humanities and social sciences up to 2000.
- Project Muse. A collection of full-text journals which provides current coverage of journals, including many of the titles in JSTOR.
- ProQuest Newspapers
- Sage Journals Online: Most are in full-text.
- Expanded Academic ASAP (Gale/InfoTrac). Some full-text. Includes book reviews.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO) Some full-text. Includes book reviews.
- Ethnic Newswatch (ProQuest Newspapers) Full-text.
- Military and Government Collection (EBSCO). Some full-text
- Mobile Register 1992-present (2001-2003 not available). Full-text
- Readers’ Guide Retrospective. Index to general interest periodicals for the period 1890-1982. No full-text.
- SocINDEX with FullText: Some full-text.
- Vanderbilt Television News Archive. No full-text
- Google Scholar - Google's attempt at an academic database. Set Preferences to University of South Alabama to activate links to our material.
- New York Times Index. Reference AI 21 .N45
This is the database of all the journals we subscribe to in print and electronically. Once you have a citation to an article, go here to see if the Libraries have a subscription to this particular volume, issue and year of the journal you need. Occasionally the information is incorrect and/or unclear. Call us at 460-7025 if you have any question about the availability of these journals. (Note: Some magazine and journal publishers "embargo" the latest year of electronic versions. This means that the most recent issues will not be available online for a year from their publication date.)
Internet Projects containing Primary Material
- Alabama Mosaic. http://www.alabamamosaic.org/
- Oral Histories of the American South. http://docsouth.unc.edu/sohp/
- History Matters. http://www.historymatters.gmu.edu
- Avalon Project. http://avalon.law.yale.edu/
- Primary Sources on the Web. http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/PrimarySourcesOnTheWeb.html
- American Time Capsule: Three Centuries of Broadsides and Other Printed Ephemera (1600-2000) http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/rbpehtml/
- Louisiana Digital Library. http://louisdl.louislibraries.org/
- Miller Center of Public Affairs. http://millercenter.org/
- USM Oral History Civil Rights Documentation Project. http://www.usm.edu/crdp/
- Library of Virginia. http://www.lva.virginia.gov/
- Television News of the Civil Rights Era 1950-1970. http://www2.vcdh.virginia.edu/civilrightstv/
- Digital Library of Georgia. http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/?Welcome
- Primary Source Media - from Gale. http://microformguides.gale.com/index.shtml
- Archive Grid. http://www.archivegrid.org/
- Making of America. http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/moagrp/
Library Resource Guides:
Locating Primary Sources http://www.southalabama.edu/univlib/guides/primarysources.pdf