Library Resources for HY 432
These sources may help you find good information for this class. This page is by no means comprehensive; rather, it is intended to serve as a starting point for your research. For further assistance, please contact the Reference Desk.
The SOUTHcat catalog contains records for books, e‐books, journals, CD‐ROMs, CDs, DVDs, videos, and government documents held by the libraries at the University of South Alabama. It does not list journal articles(see "Indexes to Journals and Articles" below) Click here for video tutorials of the search process.
Include one or more of the following search terms in a keyword search to limit a search to primary sources: correspondence, diaries, personal narratives, interviews, letters and sources. Use a truncation symbol (?) to broaden search terms.
Sample SOUTHcat Searches
- Franklin, Benjamin
- Madison, James
- Williams, Roger
- Bradford, William
- Winthrop, John
- United States -- history -- colonial period
- women -- United States -- history -- 18th century
- slavery -- United States -- history --17th century
- "United States" "colonial period" sources
- women "colonial period" diar?
- American newspapers colonial
- "indians of north america" sources
- colonial "United States" letter?
- newspaper? "United States" bibliograph?
- "Thomas Jefferson" correspondence
- "Great Britain" colonies America?
- "Great Britain" emigration history "17th century"
- "Atlantic world" "social conditions"
- "United States" history immigration sources
Selected Print Resources for Primary Material in USA Library
- Milestone Documents in American History. Reference E 173 .M55 2008 (4 vols.)
- Witches of the Atlantic World. Bookstacks BF 1566 .W755 2000
- Encyclopedia of American Historical Documents. Reference E 173 .E54 2004 (3 vols.)
- Narratives of the Indian wars, 1675-1699. Bookstacks E 82 .L73
- Narratives of the Insurrections, 1675-1690. Bookstacks E 187 .A563
- Liberty’s Daughters : the Revolutionary Experience of American Women, 1750-1800. Bookstacks HQ 1418 .N67
- Papers of George Washington. Colonial Series. Bookstacks E 312.72 1983 v. 1-10
- Documents of Political Foundation Written by Colonial Americans. Bookstacks KF 4502 .D64 1986
- Women’s Voices, Women’s Lives : Documents in Early American History. Bookstacks HQ 1416 .W67 1998
- Black Soldiers in the Colonial Militia: Documents from 1639-1780. Bookstacks E 184.6 .B49 1994
- Women’s Early American Historical Narratives. Bookstacks E 173 .W83 2003
- Irish Immigrants in the Land of Canaan: Letters and Memoirs from Colonial and Revolutionary America, 1675-1815. Bookstacks E 184 .I6 I683 2003
- Debating the Issues in Colonial Newspapers. Bookstacks E 187 .C78 2000
- Major Problems in American Colonial History: Documents and Essays. University Library Circulation Desk, 7 Day Library Reserve E 188.5 .M25 2000
- Journeys in New Worlds : Early American Women’s Narratives. Bookstacks E 187.5 .J68 1990
- Select Charters and Other Documents Illustrative of American History, 1606-1775. Microfiche, Lib of American Civilization LAC13442
- Great Debates in American History; From the Debates in the British Parliament on the Colonial Stamp Act (1764-1765) to the Debates in Congress at the Close of the Taft Administration (1912-1913). Bookstacks E 173 .M64 v. 1-14
- Introduction to the History of the Revolt of the American Colonies being a Comprehensive View of its Origin, Derived from the State Papers contained in the Public Offices of Great Britain. Microfiche, Lib of American Civilization LAC20775
- Greenwood Library of American War Reporting. Bookstacks D 5 .E84 2005 (Vol. 1: The French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War)
- Significance of the Printed Word in Early America: Colonists' Thoughts... Bookstacks Z 1003.2 .W55 1999
- Major Problems in American Immigration and Ethnic History. University Library Circulation Desk, 7 Day Reserve JV 6450 .M36 1998
- Benjamin Franklin Papers. Bookstacks E 302 .F83 1962
- Annals of America. Reference E 173 .A793
- Settlements to Society, 1607 [i.e. 1584] - 1763: A Documentary History... Bookstacks E 187 .G8117 1975
- Encyclopedia of Colonial and Revolutionary America. Reference E 188 .E63 1990
- Encyclopedia of the North American Colonies. Reference E 45 .E53 1993 (3 vols.)
- Oxford English Dictionary Online (20 vols.)
- Dictionary of American Biography. Reference E 176 .D566 (11 vols. and supplements)
- American National Biography. Reference CT 213 .A68 1999 (24 vols.)
- American Bibliography: A Chronological Dictionary of All Books, Pamphlets, and Periodical Publications Printed in the United States From the Genesis of Printing in 1639 Down to and Including the Year 1820. Reference Z 1215 .E92
- National Index of American Imprints Through 1800. Reference Z 1215 .S495
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Reference DA 28 .O95 2004 (60 vols.)
- Dictionary of American History. Reference E 174 .D52 2003
Indexes to Books, Chapters in Books and Dissertations
WorldCat (FirstSearch) An index to books and other materials in libraries worldwide. Can be searched by keyword, subject heading, author or title. No full text.
WorldCat (worldcat.org) This web version allows you to discover how close items are to your location.
ACLS Humanities E-Book Project. Full text to books of major importance in historical studies. (All titles appear in SOUTHcat Catalog but best search results are from E-Book website)
NetLibrary. All records appear in the SOUTHcat Catalog and can be searched with keyword or subject searches from the NetLibrary site. Must register and establish user name and password to check out book for four hours.
Dissertation Abstracts/Digital Dissertations. Searchable by author, keyword or institution. USA theses submitted in pdf format are available online at no charge.
Essay and General Literature Index. (in print) Reference AI 3 .E752 (1900-1998).
Google Books. http://books.google.com. Part of Google's library-scanning project.
Indexes to Journals and Articles
Some indexes will also have links to full-text of the articles. Dates of full-text coverage may vary with different databases. One way to check availability is to use "Our Journal List" under "Articles, Indexes and Databases" on the University Library homepage.
- JSTOR. A collection of full-text journals in which the latest issues are at least 3 to 5 years old, but the holdings often extend back many years. The journals may be searched separately or by discipline.
- Project Muse. A collection of full-text journals which provides current coverage of journals, including many of the titles in JSTOR.
- History Cooperative Journals: includes American Historical Review, Journal of American History and William and Mary Quarterly
- Periodicals Archive Online. Backfiles of journals in humanities and social sciences up to 2000.
- Expanded Academic ASAP (Gale/InfoTrac). Some full-text. Includes book reviews.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO) Some full-text. Includes book reviews.
- Readers’ Guide Retrospective. Index to general interest periodicals for the period 1890. No full text.
- America: History and Life (print). (1964-1998) Excellent abstracts. No full-text. Includes book reviews. Reference Z 1236 .A48
- Google Scholar - Google's attempt at an academic database. Set Preferences to University of South Alabama to enliven links to our material.
Our Journal List
This is the database of all the journals we subscribe to in print and electronically. Once you have a citation to an article, go to Our Journal List to see if the Libraries have a subscription to this particular volume, issue and year of the journal you need. Occasionally the information is incorrect and/or unclear. Call us at 460-7025 if you have any question about the availability of these journals. (Note: Some magazine and journal publishers "embargo" the latest year of electronic versions. This means that the most recent issues will not be available online for a year from their publication date.)
Internet Projects containing Primary Material
- Atlantic World: America and the Netherlands. http://international.loc.gov/intldl/awkbhtml/awkbhome.html
- American Journeys. http://www.americanjourneys.org
- American Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920. http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/lhtnhtml/lhtnhome.html
- History Matters. http://www.historymatters.gmu.edu
- Avalon Project. http://avalon.law.yale.edu
- Virtual Jamestown. http://www.virtualjamestown.org
- Plymouth Colony Archive Project. http://www.histarch.uiuc.edu/plymouth/
- Primary Sources on the Web. http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/PrimarySourcesOnTheWeb.html
- Salem Witch Trials Documentary Archive http://etext.virginia.edu/salem/witchcraft/
- American Time Capsule: Three Centuries of Broadsides and Other Printed Ephemera http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/rbpehtml/
- The Atlantic Slave Trade and Slave Life in the Americas
- Documents from the Continental Congress http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/continental
- Early Virginia Religious Petitions / Library of Congress and Library of Virginia
- A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amlaw/lawhome.html
- Slavery and the Courts, 1740–1860 http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/sthtml/sthome.html
- Slave Movement During the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries http://www.disc.wisc.edu/slavedata/index.html
- Thomas Jefferson Digital Archive http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/
- From Revolution to Reconstruction http://www.let.rug.nl/~usa/D/
- George Washington Papers. http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/gwhtml/gwhome.html
- Euro Docs: Britain 1689-1815. http://eudocs.lib.byu.edu/index.php/Britain_1689-1815
- Bedford/St. Martin Documentation http://www.dianahacker.com/resdoc/
- Chicago Manual of Style: University Library Ready Reference, Reserve, and Bookstacks, call number Z 253 .U69
- Chicago Citation-Style Quick Guide
- Chicago Manual of Style resources from the OWL at Purdue
- Chicago-Turabian Style Crib Sheet
Library Resource Guides:
American Colonial documents http://www.southalabama.edu/univlib/guides/amercolobib.html
Locating Primary Sources http://www.southalabama.edu/univlib/guides/primarysources.pdf