Library Resources for IST 302
These sources may help you find good information for this class. This page is by no means comprehensive; rather, it is intended to serve as a starting point for your research. For further assistance, please contact the Reference Desk.
Library Resources and Others:
- Reference Area, Career Counter (on the left side as you exit the elevator or stairs)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Reference, Career Counter: HF 5382.5 .U5 O3
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: http://www.bls.gov/oco/home.htm
- List of Trade Journals in the University Library
- Careers (Guide to the Topic) http://www.southalabama.edu/univlib/guides/career.htm
- Generic Job Description
- USA's Career Services
Journals, Trade Journal, Magazine and Newspaper Articles
These are under the "Articles, Indexes and Databases” on the University Library homepage. Some databases will also have links to full-text of the articles. "Vocational guidance" is the subject heading which will get you articles talking about some aspect of a career.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO) Some full-text.
- Academic OneFile (Gale/InfoTrac). Some full-text.
- Vocational and Career Collection (EBSCO)
Writing Critical Reviews:
Critiquing a scientific article: http://www.learn.maine.edu/ocls/criticalreview.php
Critiquing a humanities article: http://www.class.uidaho.edu/druker/criticalreview.htm
From a business school: http://wwwdocs.fce.unsw.edu.au/fce/EDU/eduwritingcritreview.pdf
This is the database of all the journals we subscribe to in print and electronically. Once you have a journal title or citation to an article, go here to see if the Libraries have a subscription to this particular volume, issue and year of the journal you need. Occasionally the information is incorrect and/or unclear. Call us at 460-7025 if you have any question about the availability of these journals. (Note: Some magazine and journal publishers "embargo" the latest year of electronic versions. This means that the most recent issues will not be available online for a year from their publication date.)
The SOUTHcat catalog contains records for books, e‐books, journals, CD‐ROMs, CDs, DVDs, videos, and government documents held by the libraries at the University of South Alabama. It does not list journal articles(see "Indexes to Journals and Articles" below) Click here for video tutorials of the search process.
A few subject searches for career-related topics:
- vocational guidance
- geology--vocational guidance
- nursing--vocational guidance
A few keyword searches for career-related topics:
- art “vocational guidance”
- television career?
- “health care” career?
- teacher? career?
- nursing vocational guidance
- computer? career?
(The EBSCO databases will create a close-to-accurate citation when you "SAVE" and choose "brief" citations and select a style. Though the citation is seldom perfect, EBSCO supplies a link to a style guide which will help you correct the inaccuracies.)