Library Resources for LG 480
These sources may help you find good information for this class. This page is by no means comprehensive; rather, it is intended to serve as a starting point for your research. For further assistance, please contact the Reference Desk.
- SOUTHcat: USA Libraries Catalog
- Contains records for books, e-books, journals, CD-ROMs, CDs, DVDs, videos, and government documents held by the libraries at the University of South Alabama. It does not list journal articles.
- Worldcat (worldcat.org)
- An index to books and other materials in libraries worldwide. Can be searched by keyword, subject heading, author, or title. No full text.
- ACLS Humanities E-Book Project
- Full text to books of major importance in historical studies. All titles appear in SOUTHcat Catalog but the best search results are from the e-book website.
- All records appear in the SOUTHcat Catalog and can also be searched with keyword or subject searches from the NetLibrary site. Must register and establish user name and password to check out book for four hours.
- American Research on the Treasury of the French Language. Nearly 2000 French texts including literary criticism, biology, history, economics, and philosophy. Genres include novels, verse, theater, journalism, essays, correspondence, and treatises. The 18th, 19th and 20th centuries with fewer of 17th century texts and some medieval and Renaissance items.
- Google Book Search
- Part of Google's library-scanning project. Only books in the public domain are shown in full text.
Multidisciplinary Databases (English only)
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO)
- General index; covers many disciplines. Many full-text articles.
- Sage Journals Online
- Multidisciplinary. Most articles are full-text.
- Expanded Academic ASAP (Gale/InfoTrac)
- General index; covers many disciplines. Many full-text articles.
English & Foreign Language Databases
- Project Muse
- A collection of full-text journals which provides current coverage of journals, including many of the titles in JSTOR. Can limit by language.
- A collection of full-text journals in which the latest issues are at least 3 to 5 years old, but the holdings often extend back many years. The journals may be searched separately or by discipline. Can limit by language.
- Periodicals Archive Online
- Backfiles of journals in humanities and social sciences up to 2000. Can limit by language.
- MLA International Bibliography
- MLA International Bibliography offers a detailed bibliography of journal articles, books and dissertations. Produced by the Modern Language Association, the electronic version of the bibliography dates back to the 1920s and contains over 2.2 million citations from more than 4,400 journals & series and 1,000 book publishers. The indexed materials coverage is international and includes almost 60 titles from J-STOR’s language and literature collection as well as links to full text. Can limit by language.
Foreign Language Newspapers
- LexisNexis Academic
- An index to news and legal publications. Select &Major World Publications (non-English)& from search options.
Spanish Language Sources
- ¡Informe! (Revistas en Espanol) (Gale/InfoTrac)
- Full-text articles from Spanish-language and bilingual periodicals.
- ClasePeriodica (FirstSearch) subscription expires as of Oct. 1, 2009
- Index of Latin American journals in the sciences and humanities.
- Ethnic News Watch
- Ethnic NewsWatch is an interdisciplinary, bilingual (English and Spanish) and comprehensive full text database of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press.
- Communication and Mass Media Complete (EBSCO)
- Over 700 journals indexed, 380 with full text
- Multidisciplinary: Medical, allied health, social sciences and humanities. Mostly full text.
- Business Source Premier (EBSCO)
- Many full text business journals.
- General Business File ASAP (Gale/InfoTrac)
- Many full text business journals
- GreenFILE (EBSCO)
- GreenFILE offers well-researched information covering all aspects of human impact to the environment. Its collection of scholarly, government and general-interest titles includes content on global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more. The database provides indexing and abstracts for more than 384,000 records, as well as Open Access full text for more than 4,700 records.
- Military & Government Collection (EBSCO)
- Designed to offer current news pertaining to all branches of the military and government, this database offers a thorough collection of periodicals, academic journals, and other content pertinent to the increasing needs of those sites. The Military & Government Collection provides cover-to-cover full text for nearly 300 journals and periodicals and indexing and abstracts for more than 400 titles.
Our Journal List
This is the database of all the journals we subscribe to in print and electronically. Once you have a citation to an article, go to Our Journal List to see if the Libraries have a subscription to the particular volume, issue, and year of the journal you need. Call us at 460-7025 if you have any question about the availablity of these journals. (Note: Some magazine and journal publishers "embargo" the latest six months or year of electronic versions. This means that the most recent issues will not be available online for six months or a year from their publication date.)
Open-Access Journals (English & Foreign Language)
- Directory of Open Access Journals
- Covers free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals. Aims to cover all subjects and languages.
Selected Internet Resources
- Foreign Information by Country
- Collections of links to information about countries and territories of the world. Find guides from individual countries, portals to country information, and country profiles by governments and by international organizations. Some of the country sites are only in native languages. Includes links to related topics such as treaties and travel. From the University of Colorado at Boulder Libraries.
- Latin American Network Information Center (LANIC)
- LANIC's mission is to facilitate access to Internet-based information to, from, or on Latin America. The target audience includes people living in Latin America, as well as those around the world who have an interest in this region. While many resources are designed to facilitate research and academic endeavors, the site has also become an important gateway to Latin America for primary and secondary school teachers and students, private and public sector professionals, and just about anyone looking for information about this important region.
- Librarians' Internet Index
- The mission of Librarians' Internet Index is to provide a well-organized point of access for reliable, trustworthy, librarian-selected websites, serving California, the nation, and the world.
Library Resources & Guides
Style guides in the library:
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th edition
- University Library Ready Reference (2nd Floor North). Call number BF 76.7 .P83 2010 (Non-circulating)
- University Library Circulation Desk, 7 Day Library Reserve. Call number BF 76.7 .P83 2010
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 7th edition
- University Library Ready Reference (2nd Floor North). Call number LB 2369 .G53 2009 (Non-circulating)
- University Library Bookstacks. Call number LB 2369 .G53 2009
- University Library Circulation Desk, 7 Day Library Reserve. Call number LB 2369 .G53 2009
- Mitchell College of Business Library, Reference. Call number LB 2369 .G53 2009 (Non-circulating)
- Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition
- University Library Ready Reference (2nd Floor North). Call number Z 253 .U69 (Non-circulating)
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers, 7th edition
- University Library Ready Reference (2nd Floor North). Call number LB 2369 .T8 2007 (Non-circulating)
- University Library Bookstacks. Call number LB 2369 .T8 2007
- University Library Circulation Desk, 7 Day Library Reserve. Call number LB 2369 .T8 2007
- Mitchell College of Business Library, Reference. Call number LB 2369 .T8 2007 (Non-circulating)
Online Style References:
- MLA Formatting and Style Guide from Purdue University
- Research and Documentation Online, Diana Hacker
- Doc Scribe's Guide to Research Styles