University of South Alabama
Home Index Search Directories Faq
College of Education Area V Required Courses
Transfer Articulation
  We appreciate your interest in the University of South Alabama (USA). USA is dedicated to making the transfer transition as easy as possible. As required by state law, USA will take your coursework as outlined on the AGSC Transfer Guide and graduate you with the same number of hours as our native students in the same major (assuming you do not change majors). If you have printed out an AGSC Approved Transfer guide for Elementary Education, we would strongly recommend that you print this page and use it along with your AGSC guide. Our Colleges/Departments have chosen those courses which would best fit into USA's existing General Studies Program. To minimize transfer problems and best prepare you to finish your program in the minimum hours required, you should take courses as outlined below. Thanks again for choosing the University of South Alabama.  
Elementary Education
Area V Professional Studies
Required Courses
  The following courses are required for the degree in Elementary/Early Childhood Education at the University of South Alabama. These courses are in addition to the courses listed on the STARS guide that you accessed. These courses fulfill degree requirements in Area V of the Alabama General Studies Core Curriculum and may be taken at your community college.  
  Please print these pages. Fill in your name, signature, and today's date. Attach these pages to your STARS articulation guide.  
Name (print): Last:
Signature:   ________________________________________________________
  Remember that although more than 60 semester hours may be taught at the freshman/ sophomore level and thus listed as possibilities on the STARS guides and this Area V page, you MAY NOT transfer more than 60 semester hours from a junior or community college. You should take no more than 60 semester hours at the two-year institution.  
  When you have finished reviewing these Area V requirements, please visit the University of South Alabama Undergraduate Admissions Page for more information about transferring to USA and applying to the University.  
  If the courses listed below are also listed in Area I-IV as options, you may fulfill these Area V requirements by taking the courses in Areas I-IV, thus taking fewer courses in Area V. This will reduce the total number of semester hours that you take and assist you in graduating from USA with the minimum 120 hours required for the degree.  
AREA III - Total 11 semester hours:  
MA 110     MTH 110    
Choose four hours from courses listed below:  
BLY 101     BIO 101    
BLY 121     BIO 103    
CH 101     CHM 104    
CH 131     CHM 111    
-or-       -or-      
CH 132     CHM 112    
GEO 101     GEO 101    
-or-       -or-      
GEO 102     GEO 102    
GY 111     GLY 101    
-or-       -or      
GY 112     GLY 102    
PH 101     AST 220    
PH 104     PHY 120    
PH 114     PHY 201    
PH 115     PHY 202    
PH 201     PHY 213    
-or-       -or-      
PH 202     PHY 214    

AREA V - Total 23 Semester Hours  
MA 112     MTH 112    
MA 201 Strongly recommended   MTH 231    
CH, PH, or GY lab science elective or BLY 102 or BLY 122 CHM, PHY, or GLY lab science elective or BIO 102 or BIO 104 or PHS 111 or PHS 112
MA elective not used in Area III MTH elective that is transferable for degree credit
HS 262     HED 221    
PE 100     HED 224    
PE 101-157 Activity (1 hour)  
        PED 100    
        PED Activity  

  Questions regarding degree/graduation requirements and the applicability of transfer credit toward satisfaction of degree requirements should be directed to the College of Education UCOM 3100, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL 36688-0002 (251) 380-2738.  
  Questions regarding transfer admission and transfer credit evaluation should be directed to the Office of Admissions, Meisler Hall Suite 2500, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL 36688-0002 (251) 460-6141 or (800) 872-5247.  
  For more information regarding the degree in Elementary/Early Childhood Education at the University of South Alabama, please consult the USA Bulletin.  
E-mail suggestions and comments to: Heather Nix

University of South Alabama - Mobile Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-6141
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: November 14, 2013 4:18 PM

University of South Alabama University of South Alabama text only