clothing and personal items

Over 200 buttons made of copper, brass, pewter, bone, iron, or glass were recovered from the Dog River site. This pewter button with the script letter "I" above a small star (a mullet) in a circle is from an infantry uniform worn during the Creek War of 1813 and 1814. Adam Hollinger, who lived at  the Dog River plantation  from 1834 to 1848, was a soldier under General Andrew Jackson during the Creek War. Was this military button a keepsake that he eventually lost at the Dog River site?

Over 2,400 glass beads, representing 86 different types, were found. Most are small embroidery beads, but some are larger necklace beads either tubular, faceted, round, or oval in shape. At least fifty faceted beads are types first introduced for the 1820s Indian trade and for use by enslaved Africans and African Americans.

Other types include a gray raspberry bead, a blue melon bead, a black beehive bead, a black flat bead, and three cornaline d'Allepo beads (bottom left). One blue disc bead is identical in size, shape, and color to the "Man-in-the-moon" beads, but lacking that motif (top right). "Man-in-the-moon" beads date to the early French colonial period and have been recovered from the site of Old Mobile.

Tobacco smoking was a common activity at the Dog River plantation as indicated by the nearly 2,000 fragments of white clay pipes recovered. Some pipes have fluted decorations (shown here), floral patterns, stars, or the initials "TD." Many pipe stems have geometric patterns and a few have the mouthpiece present, some of which have been chewed and others whittled.

Other fragments come from reed stem pipes with ridged or fluted bowls. A reed stem would have been placed in the opposite end to accommodate the smoker. These pipes are either lead-glazed or unglazed. Three glazed pipes are anthropomorphic face pipes. One nearly whole reed stem pipe has a faint molded floral or sunburst design on the bowl. This pipe is similar to those produced in the Akron and Mogadore area of Ohio and at Pamplin, Virginia, in the mid-to-late 19th century. Other stoneware pipes (such as the one shown on the bottom right) are attributed to the Point Pleasant pottery in Ohio, which was in operation in from the mid-to-late 19th century.


Copyright © 2013 by The University of South Alabama
Last Updated:
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:57 PM