Criteria for Admission to Candidacy
1. Completion of 60 semester hours of course work, 48 of which must be in general studies.
2. A minimum overall grade point average of 2.5 at the University of South Alabama.
3. A minimum program grade point average of 2.75 (including transfer work).
4. A minimum grade point average of 2.75 in the professional teacher education (including transfer work). In the professional education component, no grade below a "C" is acceptable.
5. A minimum grade point average of 2.75 in area(s) of teaching specialization(s) (including transfer work),
6. Completion of EH 101, 102, CA 110, EDF 315, EDM 310, and EPY 351 additionally for (Elementary Education majors EPY 355), (for Secondary Education/HPE majors - SPE 400).
7. Satisfactory performance on the College of Education Reading Test (IDE 010). Students who are seeking a second Bachelor of Science degree or students with official E-ACT scores of 20 (or higher) on the reading component (RD) are exempt from IDE 010.
8. Satisfactory performance on the Alabama Prospective Teacher Test (APTT) for reading, writing and math.
9. Completion of the disposition Self Survey and satisfactory completion of a departmental interview designed to provide information on the applicant’s personality, dispositions, interests, and aptitudes consistent with the requirements for successful teaching.
10. Proof of: Clear background check, and professional liability insurance.
11. Sufficient physical ability and emotional stability to perform successfully as a teacher. (NOTE: These factors might be covered in the departmental interview).
12. Recommendation of the advisor and departmental chair.
13. See additional departmental candidacy requirements for your specific program as listed under the ‘course of study’ link on the sidebar to the left of this page.