Too many students rules out studying abroad because they think they cannot afford it. However, studying abroad can be very affordable, especially with the assistance of scholarships. Check out these scholarship and alternate funding options for ways to make study abroad a reality for you!
Internal Scholarships are directly affiliated with the University of South Alabama. Look at the following options to see which ones fit your needs:
- International Education Study Abroad Scholarship: OIE is excited to announce a new scholarship that will award $100,000 to qualified students who study abroad! All study abroad applicants are encouraged to apply for this scholarship. Additional information on the application process can be accessed through your online study abroad application.
- USA Paws around the World Scholarship for Study Abroad is a scholarship for students who are enrolled as degree seeking USA students in good academic and non-academic standing, with preference given to students who graduated from an Alabama high school. This scholarship can be accessed through your study abroad application.
The Hooker-Kubik Scholarship is a scholarship to provide assistance to outstanding Slovakian students or researchers to further their education for the purpose of enhancing the Slovakia nation or to a USA student whom wishes to study abroad in Slovakia or Eastern Europe. If you are an outside student applying for this scholarship, you can download the application here and mail it to the Office of International Education. If you are a USA student applying for this scholarship, you can access it through your study abroad application.
- The Nowlin-Caldwell Endowment awards up to $3,000 annually to a student with a declared major in the College of Arts & Sciences to fund overseas travel.
- The Felicia Cooley Award is awarded to a student that is deemed the best in Intermediate Spanish II by the department of Foreign Language & Literature. He or she is awarded $250.00 that is to be used exclusively for Study Abroad. For more information, contact the Foreign Languages & Literature Department.
- The Lesser Taught Languages Scholarship Award is awarded to a student in one of the “lesser-taught languages” or Latin in the Foreign Languages & Literature Department at USA. Contact the department for more information.
- The Honors Program Study Abroad Scholarship: Honors students who have accepted the Honors Frederick P. Whiddon Scholarship offer AND who have a 30 or above
ACT composite score who plan to study abroad with a University of South Alabama-affiliated program or program approved by the Honors Program's director are eligible to receive a $2,000 study abroad scholarship. Contact the Honors Program for more information.
External Scholarships and Fellowships
External Scholarships and Fellowships are not directly offered by the University of South Alabama, but your Study Abroad Coordinator can help you apply for them. For information on how to apply for study abroad scholarships, visit Go Abroad’s Ten Ways to Score a Study Abroad Scholarship. A few you may be interested in are:
- The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
- Boren Awards provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to add an important international and language component to their educations.
- The Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship is a biannual scholarship for students passionate about studying abroad.
- Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarships are designed to further international understanding and friendly relations among people of different countries and geographical areas. Contact your local Rotary Club for more information.
- Diversity Abroad Scholarships are available to economically disadvantaged, African-American, Asian-American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native American students applying to a Diversity Abroad partner organization's program.
- Fund for Education Abroad scholarships support students within a group that is traditionally underrepresented in education abroad.
- Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants are designed to help support undergraduates as they seek knowledge and experience in their academic fields by studying abroad. Fifty $1,000 grants are awarded each year.
- Freeman-Asia Awards are available for qualified students planning to study abroad in Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, or Vietnam.
- The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program offers intensive summer language institutes in thirteen critical foreign languages.
- DAAD offers a wide range of funding opportunities for students located in the United States. Their primary goal is to facilitate transatlantic mobility to Germany for US and Canadian scholars, therefore Germany must be a component of your intended academic travel.
- Project GO (Global Officers) is a collaborative initiative that promotes critical language education, study abroad, and intercultural dialogue opportunities for ROTC students. Project GO programs focus exclusively on the languages and countries of the Middle East, Asia, Central Asia, and Africa.
- Scotland Saltire Scholarships provide funding for one year of undergraduate or graduate study in Scotland.
- Fulbright offers an array of funding for graduate study in numerous areas, including the Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholar Awards and the Fulbright Arctic Initiative.
- The Gates Cambridge Scholarship provides funding for up to three years of graduate study at Cambridge University in any field.
- Winston Churchill Foundation Scholarships provide funding for graduate students who wish to study engineering, math, or science at Cambridge University.
- The George Marshall Scholarship provides funding for two years of graduate study at any university in any field.
- George Mitchell Scholarships provide funding for one year of graduate study at any eligible institution in Ireland or Northern Ireland in any field.
- Rhodes Scholarships provide funding for two years of graduate study in any field at Oxford University.
- Don’t see a scholarship or fellowship that fits your needs here? Check out Study Abroad Funding for a study abroad scholarship search engine.
Crowdfunding for Personal Funding Campaigns
Crowdfunding is not a scholarship per se, but it is another option for you to explore for funding. Crowdfunding platforms may help provide you with ways to encourage your friends and family to help you pay for your program. Be sure to check through the details of each of the resources as there are typically fees involved as well as a portion of the donations to your fund kept by the company. Some crowdfunding platform options are:
- FundMyTravel is an online crowdfunding platform specifically developed to suit the needs of individuals desiring to study or volunteer abroad. It is part of GoAbroad LLC, which is a resource for international education and alternative travel. Through FundMyTravel, GoAbroad helps individuals plan for and fund meaningful travel experiences abroad.
- Project Travel is a peer-funding platform that makes educational travel possible.
- GoFundMe is a personal online fundraising website for individuals, groups & organizations.
- Indiegogo is an international crowdfunding site where anyone can raise money for film, music, art, charity, small business, gaming, theater, and more.
- Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects.