text only
Home Index Search Directories Faq

Home >> FAQ
Application Process
When should I apply for financial aid?
You must apply for financial aid every year. The best time to apply is as soon as possible after January 1 and before the end of March for the following school year (fall, winter & spring & summer terms).
How do I apply for financial aid?
The best way to submit your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is on the Internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you have a pin number from the Department of Education, you can do a renewal FAFSA on the web. You can request a pin online at www.pin.ed.gov. Another option to complete the FAFSA is by completing a paper application, available at most high schools.
What is your federal school code?
The federal school code for USA is 001057. To find others, check online at www.fafsa.ed.gov and then select "Find My School Codes".
I don't live with my parents, they don't claim me on their tax returns, and they don't give me any financial support. Do I still have to put down their information on my application?
No, Graduate and professional students are "Independent" of their parents income for federal money.
The school is asking for a copy of my tax return or W2s and I didn't keep copies. What should I do?
If you had a tax preparer complete your tax returns, you may want to contact him/her for a copy. Otherwise, you can get a printout or transcript from your local IRS office by calling 1-800-829-1040 or completing Form 4506. You should receive your transcript via mail within 10-15 days.
The school is asking for verification of my selective service registration. I don't have anything. What should I do?
You must contact Selective Service at www.sss.gov or 1-847-688-6888 to verify your registration. If it is determined you haven't yet registered and you are between the ages of 18 and 25 you must do so. If you are not registered and you are over 26 years of age, you need to request a status letter from Selective Service and provide a copy of that to our office.
The school is asking for verification of my selective service registration and I'm female. What should I do?
You can provide a written statement to our office indicating that you are female and not required to register with Selective Service. Be sure to include your full name and social security number on the statement before you sign and submit it.
I've already submitted my FAFSA, but I need to make some changes. How should I make them?
If you have your pin number from the Department of Education, you can make your changes online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Click on "Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA". If you have a Student Aid Report, you can make the corrections on that and mail it to the Department of Education.
I've already submitted my FAFSA, but I need to add a school. How do I do that?
If you have your pin number from the Department of Education, you add a school online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you have your Student Aid Report, you may call the Department of Education at 1-800-433-3243. Give them your name, social security number, the DRN number and transaction number off your SAR (in the upper right corner of the front page), and the name of the school you want to have added to your FAFSA. If you no longer have your SAR, you may also call to request a duplicate.
I haven't heard from the financial aid office at USA. Why?
All financial aid students at USA must be accepted for admission before your financial aid award will be processed. If you haven't applied to USA, visit the College of Medicine Admissions. If you have been admitted or readmitted to USA but haven't heard from the Financial Aid Office, you should check your mailing address. You can check your address on PAWS. You can also check the status of your application on PAWS.
How long will it take before I get my Award letter?
It may take 8-10 weeks after you complete your file at USA before you'll find out what aid you're eligible to receive. Ensure the fastest processing time by turning in all requested information timely.
Is it too late to apply for financial aid?
You can apply for financial aid anytime during the current school year as long as the school receives a valid FAFSA from the federal processor before the last day of the current school year. However, some funding is limited and/or may not be available when your award is finalized.

USA Financial Aid COM
All of USA

© 2012 University of South Alabama - Mobile Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-7918
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: June 1, 2012 3:14 PM
USA Homepage