Alethea N. Hill, PhD, MSN, RN, ANP-BC
Clinical Assistant Professor
Adult Health Nursing Department
PhD, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2011
MSN, University of South Alabama, 2001
BSN, University of South Alabama, 1997
• 2011-present National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) Postdoctoral Summer Institute I & II
• SUNY Downstate Cardiovascular Disease PRIDE (Program to Increase Diversity) Scholar (Brooklyn, NY)
• 2012 NHLBI Junior Investigator Bootcamp (May, 2012)
• 2012-present Robert Wood Johnson Foundation,
New Connections Junior Investigator Scholar (Princeton, New Jersey)
• 2012-present Johnson & Johnson Diabetes Institute Scholar (San Jose, CA)
Accepted abstract for presentation:
2012 Science of Eliminating Health Disparities Summit (November 2012)-
National Institute of Minority Health Disparities
Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center, National Harbor, Maryland
Associations Between Perceived Discrimination and Allostatic Load among African Americans of the Jackson Heart Study
Research and Areas of Interest:
• Insulin Resistance
• Cardiometabolic Syndrome/Type 2 Diabetes/Cardiovascular Disease
• Health Disparities in Minority Populations
• Nursing Issues and Leadership:
• Issues related to Diabetes Advocacy for Patients
• Diabetes Wellness Board/American Diabetes Association
• RN to BSN Track
• Graduate/Undergraduate courses
• Advanced Adult-Geron Acute Care Nursing Courses
Sigma Theta Tau International
American Diabetes Association
Chi Eta Phi, Inc.
Southern Nursing Research Society
Alabama State Nurses Association
Bay Area Nurse Practitioners Association
National Black Nurses Association
American Academy for Nurse Practitioners
Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association
HIV education at the local and state level in Alabama
Mentoring and Tutoring Minority Students
Diabetes/Heart Disease education in minority communities and faith-based organizations at the local and state level
Adedayo, O.O.M., Smith, D.N., Hill, A.N., Zizi, F., Brown, C., and Girardin, J.L. (Accepted SLBR-D-11-00257R1). Obstructive sleep apnea and dyslipidemia: Evidence and underlying mechanism. Sleep & Breathing.
Talley, M., Hill, A.N., Steadman, L., & Hess, M.A. (accepted with minor revisions, 2012). Changes in the Treatment of Inpatient Hyperglycemia: What Every Nurse Practitioner Should Know About the 2012 Standards of Care. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
Hill, A.N. & Appel, S. (accepted, July 2010). Diagnosing diabetes in 2010 with A1C: Implications and considerations for measurement and surrogate markers. The Nurse Practitioner.
Hill, A.N., Roche, C., & Appel, S. (2009). Diabetes management: Updates 2009. The Nurse Practitioner 34 (3), 12-22.
Appel, S., Wright, M., Hill, A.N. & Ovalle, F. (2008). Uncovering imperative
Interventions in prediabetes and type 2 diabetes. The Nurse Practitioner 33(8), 20-27.
Hill, A.N., Lawson, R., & Rhodes, R. (2008). Collaborative co-op as a means to expand BSN enrollment & diversity. The Association of Black Nursing Faculty Journal, 19 (2), 48-50.