Thank you for your interest in the University of South Alabama Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Program. We are pleased that you are considering a graduate degree at the College of Nursing. The program is fully accredited by the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education.
The Master of Science in Nursing program prepares graduates for advanced nursing practice and doctoral study. Graduates of the program are able to synthesize and apply advanced knowledge theories, and research to a specialized area of nursing practice and function as leaders in practice and to contribute to the advancement of the profession. Upon completion of the MSN program, graduates should be able to:
• Integrate advanced knowledge and theories from nursing and related disciplines into a specialized area of advanced nursing practice.
• Demonstrate competence in advanced nursing roles to meet current and emerging health needs of a global changing society.
• Use scientific inquiry to identify problems and individualize patient care designed to improve care outcomes.
• Apply advanced knowledge of leadership and management to influence health policy to transform care delivery systems.
• Contribute to the focus and direction of the nursing profession.
Requirements for Admission:
The College of Nursing has several tracks and specialization options within the MSN program to facilitate students achieving the MSN.
• RN to BSN/MSN (for associate & diploma RNís) Ė The College of Nursing has a special program to facilitate associate and diploma prepared registered nurses attain the Master of Science in Nursing degree. Upon completion of the first phase of the program, students will be awarded a BSN degree. Upon completion of the second phase of the program the student will earn the MSN degree. Please select the above link to learn more information.
1. The MSN program is an online program. Coursework is completed online and clinical hours can be completed in your region with an approved Preceptor.
2. Nurse practitioner track students are required to report to the CON for about 3-5 days for orientation. Additional onsite visits may be required and are listed on the specialty trackís web page. Please refer to the Available Tracks within the MSN program below.
3. GRE and/or MATĖ not required
4. Letters of reference Ė not required
5. All MSN students pay the same tuition rate: Web Course Tuition for Graduate Students
6. All requirements for the MSN degree must be completed within five calendar years from admission
7. Additional requirements for admission are located in the University of South Alabama Undergraduate/Graduate Bulletin.
8. Students are responsible for costs related to the required admission background check and drug screen. Students are responsible for all travel costs for any required on-campus visit and for travel costs to clinical sites.
9. Students are responsible for all costs related to monitoring/proctoring tests and identity authentication when required by a course.
USA offers nurse educator classes
to those students wishing to pursue
a career in academia. These courses
are a subspecialization that can
be added onto your current degree
plan. Please click this link
to learn more: Nursing Education