Birthday Parties and Special Events
Rock wall climbing instills a sense of confidence through positive challenge experiences and offers opportunities for fun, exercise, and personal development. Rock wall climbing teaches confidence and determination, and improves motor skills and balance. Our staff is dedicated to providing an environment that is educational for beginners, challenging for advanced climbers, and fun and welcoming for all.
Monday - Friday: 4 - 8 PM
Saturday - Sunday: 2 - 6 PM
The Rock Wall will be open on days whenever the Student Recreation Center is open. Everyone is required to sign a liability waiver to climb the rock wall. Each year, a new waiver must be signed. Students and dependents 6 to 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian signature on our waiver before they may begin climbing. Children from ages 6 to 16 may climb with parents in attendance Fridays through Sundays. We will provide all necessary climbing gear and climbing shoes (sizes 2 to 16).
The Rock Wall is available for rent during non-scheduled hours; scheduled hours are Mondays – Fridays, 4 p.m. – 8 p.m. and Saturdays – Sundays, 2 p.m. – 6 p.m. No rentals are allowed when the Student Recreation Center is closed for University holidays.
Assuming participants are under the age of 17, birthday parties may only be held on weekends. While there is no limit to the group size of a birthday party, only 20 participants may be in the Rock Wall area at a given time. Participants may use the indoor soccer court, table tennis tables, and patio area IF those areas/tables are not being used by others (which “usually” is the case on Saturday and Sunday mornings and early afternoons). Food may ONLY be served outside in the patio area and/or upstairs in the Smoothie area. At least ONE parent must attend the party for every 1 - 10 participants; participants MUST be at least 6 years of age.
If all participants are 17 or older, a special event may be held on BOTH weekends and weekdays. Up to 30 participants will be allowed in the Rock Wall area at a given time.
1. The individual making the reservation MUST be either a USA student 19 years of age or older or a USA faculty/staff/alumni member. The person making the reservation need NOT attend the function but MUST designate on the Application someone 19 years of age or older who will be in attendance and serve as liaison with the Rock Wall staff. Participants need not be Student Recreation Center members but must be at least 6 years of age. If the person making the reservation is not affiliated with USA, permission to reserve the Rock Wall must be obtained from the Director of Campus Recreation.
2. Either download the Reservation Application from the Campus Recreation/Outdoor Adventures/Rock Wall web page or pick one up from a Rock Wall staff person during scheduled hours. We strongly recommend that you meet with a Rock Wall employee in person during scheduled Rock Wall hours before submitting your Application so that we may discuss your event.
3. Return the completed form with a $25 deposit check to either the Front Desk of the Student Recreation Center or preferably to the Rock Wall staff during scheduled hours. The deposit is non-refundable within three days of the requested reservation. The remainder of the fee is due at the start of the reservation time (checks only, payable to “U.S.A.”)
4. Please do NOT schedule your event until you have received written e-mail confirmation from the supervisor of the Rock Wall and please bring confirmation with you to show to the Front Desk to gain entrance to the building. If you do not receive confirmation within 48 hours, please contact Randy Hunter email@example.com.
1. The cost to reserve the wall is $80 per hour.
2. Groups consisting entirely of South Alabama students will only be charged $10 per hour per 1 - 10 students.
3. University Departments may request an inter-departmental transfer in lieu of checks; please make such requests in advance with a member of the Rock Wall staff.
1. All climbers must have a waiver on file with the Rock Wall staff. If you have previously filled out a standard waiver because you are a member of the Student Recreation Center and have been climbing within the past year, you will not need to fill out a special events waiver.
2. If you are a first time climber nineteen or older and NOT a member of the Student Recreation Center, you may sign a special waiver at the start of the special event.
3. If there are climbers in birthday party/special events group under the age of 19, the person making the reservation must download or pick up the needed waivers to be completed in advance IF a parent or legal guarding of a climber is not going to be attending the climbing event. These completed waivers – which must be signed by a parent or legal guardian - must be handed in at the start of the scheduled reservation time.
4. Special event waivers are only good for the specified event.
Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the USA App for access to email, calendars, etc. go to the
Take a virtual tour of campus, get directions or search for buildings and places on our
maps page >>