visit our sites

For over 20 years, archaeologists at the University of South Alabama have been excavating prehistoric and historic sites in the Mobile Bay area. Some of these sites are open to the public, but others are privately owned and access is restricted. You can "virtually visit" all of them through this website.

Old Mobile, capital of French Louisiane (1702-1711), has been undergoing excavation since 1989. The sites of eight buildings have been partially or completely excavated, with the recovery of thousands of artifacts.

Structure 31 at Old Mobile being excavated.

Bottle Creek,the largest Mississippian town site on the northern Gulf coast (A.D. 1100-1400), has eighteen earthen mounds that served as platforms for houses and temples. Visitors climb a mound at the Bottle Creek Site.

The Dauphin Island Shell Mound,now a park and bird refuge, date from the Mississippian Period (A.D. 1100-1550.) They were visited for centuries by Indians who roasted oysters and fished in the Little Dauphin Island Sound. The Dauphin Island Shell Mounds

Port Dauphin,a French village on Dauphin Island and port for French Mobile (1702-ca. 1725), has been the scene of excavations that uncovered several houses and a barrel well. Excavating a coarse earthenware plate at the Port Dauphin Site.

Archaeology at the Dog River Site has uncovered a series of plantations dating from the 1720s to late 1840s. Originally the home of the Charles Rochon family, artifacts indicate that Indians and enslaved African Americans also occupied the excavated area. Excavations at the Dog River Site.

Soon after our excavations at the Dog River site, the archaeological remains of the Augustin Rochon Plantation were discovered in Spanish Fort, Alabama. Augustin grew up with his brothers and sisters at the Dog River plantation established by their father Charles. Excavations at the Augustin Rochon Plantation.

Excavations at the Exploreumsite in downtown Mobile revealed the foundations of a Spanish colonial house (ca. 1800) and refuse from an early American riverfront tavern (ca. 1820s). Ongoing investigations at the adjacent Old City Hall and Market site have led to the discovery of antebellum cotton warehouses. Excavations at the Exploreum site.

The Madison Park Siteis a densely occupied Late Woodland village site containing Dead River (AD 500-700) through Autauga (AD 800-1100) components. The Excavations conducted by the University of South Alabama Center for Archaeological Studies offer a special glimpse into the process of the archaeological investigation of this unique site. Screening dirt for artifacts at the Madison Park site.

1n 2002 the Center for Archaeological Studies at the University of South Alabama partnered with the Clarke County Museum in Grove Hill, Alabama to conduct archaeological investigations on the grounds of the Alston-Cobb House. The public was invited to get dirty as we dug into the past of the Historic Alston-Cobb House, which was built circa 1854 and currently serves as the county museum. The Clarke County Museum in Grove Hill, Alabama.

The University of South Alabama Center for Archaeological Studies conducted an extensive survey of historic potteries on Mobile Bay.
 

Copyright © 2013 by The University of South Alabama
Last Updated:
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:59 PM