text only
Home USA Home Page
          Home: Study Abroad: How to Apply
How to Apply
Who to meet with
What to bring
Apps / Forms
  • Study Abroad Coordinator
    To schedule an appointment:
  • Your Academic Advisor
  • Parents/Guardians
    • It is important to include, update, and inform your parents/guardians about your study abroad decision and process. Their guidance and assistance will be helpful to you but please remember USA and the Office of International Education will communicate with you directly and you are responsible for completing all requirements and forms.
  • Special Student Services (if applicable)
  • Financial Aid Advisor (if applicable)

  • Copy of your unofficial transcripts
    You can print your unofficial transcript by logging into PAWS
  • Program information, if known
    • Study Abroad’s Programs section will help guide you with program options.
  • Passport (if available)
    • A passport is required to participate in a study abroad program. It will take 4 to 8 weeks to obtain a passport. Click on our Get a Passport icon on our home page for more information.
World Tour
  After completing your research, meeting with above persons, and identifying the program that best suits your own academic and personal needs, you will need to complete the paperwork to formally apply to the university abroad or to the study abroad program.  
Print this first and be sure to follow each step thoroughly. Bring to all meetings with the Study Abroad Coordinator and your academic advisor.
  Transient Credit Approval Form  
USA students must obtain the pre-approval of their college(s) and the University before enrolling at another institution for the purpose of earning transfer credits to count toward their USA degree.

Students who are transferring credits from another US or abroad institution must complete the Transient Credit Approval Form prior to the submission of their application to their host institution.

Students who complete this form must also complete the Transcript Release and Request Form.
  Transcript Release and Request Form  
This form is to be completed by students whose program is not affiliated with USA and have completed the Transient Credit Approval Form.

You will need to complete this form twice. One original is for the host institution, which you can submit with your application or hand deliver upon your arrival. The second original is for the Study Abroad Coordinator at USA to keep in your file for future use.

When you send your application for your study abroad program, please mail or fax this form with your application. You should also carry a copy of the form with you and hand it to your host academic program upon arrival.
  Course Approval Form  
USA students participating in the CCSA Programs, Medical Rotations and Internships abroad must complete this Course Approval Form. (NOT a Transient Approval Form)
  Study Abroad Processing Packet  
This packet contains forms necessary for your Study Abroad processing. This packet includes information forms, releases, permission to register, and agreements.
  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)  
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.

STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency.

STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
  Transient Credit Approval Amendment Form  
This form is provided for USA students who are abroad and find that they will take courses that are/were not on the original Transient Credit Approval Form that was signed prior to departure.
  Consortium Agreement  
This form is to be completed by your home school and your host school and is essential for financial aid purposes.
  Budget Estimate Form  
This form is also essential for financial aid purposes.
  Medical Rotations Processing Form and Policies  
Advisory information, steps, and policies for International Health Science, Nursing, and Medical rotations / internships.
© 2013 University of South Alabama | Mobile, Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-6101
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: November 15, 2012