Resources for Research
These reference sources may help you find good information for this class. This page is by no means comprehensive; rather, it is intended to serve as a starting point for your research. For further assistance, please contact the Reference Desk.
- Marx Library Homepage -- University of South Alabama
- SOUTHCat -- the catalog of the libraries of the University of South Alabama. It contains records for books, e-books, journal titles, DVDs, CDs, videos, and government documents held by the libraries. (Hint: try selecting "Subject Heading Browse" and searching for "Communication in Organizations," "Organizational Behavior," or "Communication in Management.")
- Our Journal List -- the database of all the journals we subscribe to in print and electronically. Once you have a citation to an article, go here to see if the Libraries have a subscription to this particular volume, issue and year of the journal you need. Occasionally the information is incorrect and/or unclear. Call us at 460-7025 if you have any question about the availability of these journals. (Note: Some magazine and journal publishers "embargo" the latest year of electronic versions. This means that the most recent issues will not be available online for a year from their publication date.)
- Business Resources -- selected by a USA librarian and subdivided by topic
- Communication Resources -- selected by a USA librarian
Use these to identify articles on specific topics, as well as to locate full-text electronic articles. Find them on the Articles, Indexes, and Databases page linked from the Library homepage. Remote access is available for most journals.
- Communication & Mass Media Complete -- covers more than 600 communication-related journals, with full-text for over 300
- Emerald Library -- 160 management titles, plus information science and technology journals
- Academic OneFile -- periodicals, newspapers, and academic journals
- Business Source Premier -- business research database, with full-text for more than 2300 journals
- Academic Search Premier -- interdisciplinary database with indexing for more than 8000 journals
- Expanded Academic ASAP -- combination of indexing, abstracts, images, and full text for scholarly and general interest journals embracing all academic disciplines
- SocIndex -- Comprehensive article database with abstracts for more than 590 core sociology journals. Also includes indexing for books, monographs, conference papers, and other sources.
- Wiley Interscience -- Online editions of the majority of Wiley's 400+ scientific, technical, medical and professional journals.
- JSTOR -- many disciplines, full runs of journals to 3-5 years ago. No current issues.
- PsycINFO -- published by the APA. Citations and some links to full-text journals, chapters and books in psychology and closely related fields.
- Business Index ASAP -- academic and business journals
- General Business File ASAP -- full-text journals, investment reports, and directory listings
- Lexis Nexis Academic
- Newspaper Source
- Proquest Newspapers
While careful evaluation of all research sources is important, it is especially critical for information found on the internet. For more information, see the related resources on the library instruction homepage.to top