CURRICULUM & INSTRUCTION
The following is a guide to library resources that may prove useful. It is not an exhaustive list; please consult a reference librarian for help in locating additional materials. Call or email to
INDEXES & ABSTRACTS
- ERIC. On SOUTHcat Plus, the University Library home page, select Articles, Indexes & Databases.
- There are links to full text of articles. Searching ERIC alone, you have some useful limiters,
You can limit to empirical research articles by designating reports research. There is an
online thesaurus for use in ERIC searches.
- Professional Development Collection. EBSCO.
Education Research Complete. EBSCO.
- These three databases, and other relevant EBSCO files may be searched at the same time.
- Professional Collection. Link thorugh Gale/InfoTrac.
Dissertation Abstracts International . Link through “Articles, Indexes & Databases.”
- Choose D in the alphabetical list of databases. No full text (complete dissertations) but you will
find citations to dissertations and abstracts. Dissertations may be ordered through ILL (Interlibrary
- GPO Access. Indexes selected government documents, including the U.S. Department of Education.
- Approach through Government Documents link
The Library will have many of the titles in its Government Documents depository collection.
- Alabama Course of Study. Alabama education department approved curricula can be
- found at this website: http://www.alsde.edu/html/CoursesOfStudy.asp
- Kraus Curriculum. KCDL Online. http://www.kcdonline.com
- This is a commercial site.
- Essential Guide to Childrens Books and Their Creators. Bookstacks PS 490 .E85 2002
- Also in Electronic Books.
- How's It Going? A Practical Guide to Conferring with Student Writers
- Bookstacks LB 1576 .A6159 2000
- Educational and Psychological Perspectives on Stress in Student, Teachers, and Parents.
- Bookstacks LB 1027.5 .P5223 1993
- SB & F Best Lists. Best Books for Children. http://www.sbfonline.com
- aka Science Books and Films
- Science in Elementary Education. 9th ed. Bookstacks LB 1585 .G4 2002
- Accompanying CD ROM is in Instructional Media Center (same call no.)
- ArtEdNet. Getty Educational Institute. http://www.getty.edu/artsednet
Teaching Writing: Teachers of High School English and First Year Composition.
- Bookstacks PE 1404 .T42 2002
- Beyond Formulas in Mathematics and Teaching. Bookstacks QA 159 .C48 2000
Information Literacy Standards for Student Learning. AASL. Bookstacks Z 711.2 I49 1998
Peacebuilding for Adolescents: Strategies for Educators and Community Leaders.
- Bookstacks JZ 5534 .P43 1999
- Whose History? The Struggle for National Standards in American Classrooms.Bookstacks D 16.3 .S96 2002
Southern Poverty Law Center. http://www.splcenter.org
- Holocaust curriculum and other materials.
- Assessing Student Understanding in Science: A Standards-Based K-12 Handbook.
- Bookstacks LB 1585.3 .E53 2001
- Concise Encyclopedia of Special Education. Ref. LC 4007 .E53 2002
Dictionary of Multicultural Education. Ref. LC 1099 .D53 1997
Standards and Schooling in the United States: An Encyclopedia.
- Bookstacks LB 2822.82 .S82 2001
- World Education Encyclopedia. 2nd edition. Ref. LB 15 .W84 2002
- Children’s Reading and Mathematics Achievement in Kindergarten and First Grade. 2002
- Docs ED 1.102:AC4x
- Essential Reading Skills. Bookstacks LB 2395.3 .M437 2002
Multiple Paths to Literacy: Classroom Techniques for Struggling Readers.Bookstacks LB 1050.5 .G545 2002
Reading Instruction That Works. Bookstacks LB 1573 .P72 2002
ASSESSMENT FOR ART, SCIENCE & MUSIC
- Examining Pedagogical Content Knowledge. Bookstacks Q 181 .E93 1999
- Concerns science education.
- Science Framework for the 1996 and 2000 National Assessment of Educational Programs.
- NAEP. Docs ED 1.2:SCI 2/3/1996-2000
- Emerging Roles of Evaluation in Science Education Reform. Bookstacks H 61 .A1 N4 no. 65
National Art Education Association: Our History. Bookstacks N 81 .N285 1997
Aiming for Excellence: the Impact of the Standards Movement on Music Education.
- Bookstacks MT 2 .A36 1996
- Incorporating Assessment and the National Standards for Music Education. Bookstacks MT 3 .U5 N48 2001
USA Catalog Search Examples
Subject searching (browse):
Education curricula Education united state curricula
Curriculum planning Art study and teaching
Keyword searching, with or without boolean operator. The default search assumes boolean.
For keyword searching with boolean, use quotation marks around phrases: art and “high school”
Curricul? and biology
curricul? and design
Reading and teaching
Reading and (study or teaching) Science secondary Reading elementary
From the Library home page, select “topic guides,” then “education” for useful web pages.