The following is a selective guide to library and other resources specifically aimed at advanced and graduate students of English. Call to ask a librarian if you need more assistance, ask in person or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harner, James L. Literary Research Guide. 4th edition.
- Ref. PR 83 .H37 2002
- Baker, Nancy L. A Research Guide for Undergraduate Students: English and American Literature.
- Ref. PR 56 .B34 2006 (also Bookstacks)
- Literature in English: A Guide for Librarians in the Digital Age.
- Bookstacks Z 2001 .A2 L57 2000
Unless otherwise noted, all of these must be accessed through the Library
home page (click Articles, Indexes, Databases). Don't forget to search the Catalog under journal title. Sometimes the article you seek may be available in printed form. Or you may use “Our Journal List.”
- MLA Bibliography.
- Linked full text, but this is the major languages and literatures database. MLA covers articles and collections from 1963-
- Academic OneFile (Gale Infotrac)
- This is a general database with many full text literary, articles;
and abstracts available when full text is not.
Search Complete (EBSCO). General database. Full text to many articles.
- This is an academic journal database all
full text. Does not cover the last five years.
Resource Center (Gale InfoTrac)
- Link from "Electronic Reference Sources " on the home page.
- Project Muse.
SELECTIVE BIBLIOGRAPHIES AND CHECKLISTS
- Years Work in English Studies. 1919/1920- .
- Bookstacks PE 58 .E6 Annual publication. Continuing subscription; there
is a gap from 1952 through 1961.
- Short Story in English, Britain and America: An Annotated Bibliography.
- Ref. PR 829 .B35 1994
- English Novel Explication (1973). Ref. Z 2014 ,F5 P26. Supplements
extend coverage to mid-1993.
- Twentieth Century Short Story Explication. New Series. Ref.
Z 5917 .S5 w35
- British Women Writers, 1700-1850: An Annotated Bibliography.
- Ref. PR 111 .W6 H67 1997
BIBLIOGRAPHIES BY LITERARY PERIOD
- Anglo-Saxon England. 1972- . Bookstacks DA 152.2 .A75
- Manual of the Writings in Middle English, 1050-1500. 1967- . Ref.
PR 255 .M3
- Index of Printed Middle English Prose. Bookstacks Z 2014 .P795 L49
- Middle English Prose: A Critical Guide. Ref. PR 255 .M52 1984
- Middle English Romance: An Annotated Bibliography. Bookstacks Z
2014 .R6 R5 1987
- Short Title Catalogue of Books Printed in England, Scotland, and Ireland,
- Ref. Z 2002 .P77
- Early English Drama: ‘Everyman’ To 1850, A Reference Guide. Ref.
PR 641 .W48 1986
- English Literary Renaissance. 1971- Serials collection.
- Check SOUTHcat for holdings. This journal has bibliographies.
- Shakespeare: A Study and Research Guide. Ref. PR 2894 .B44 1995
- Shakespeare Quarterly. 1950- .
- Serials collection. Check SOUTHcat for holdings. Year’s work usually reviewed
in summer issue.
- Literature of the Romantic Period: A Bibliograpical Guide. Bookstacks
PR 457 .L58 1998
- Romantic Poetry by Women: A Bibliography, 1770-1835. Ref. PR 508
.W6 J33 1998
- Studies in English Literature, 1500-1900. 1961- .
- Serials collection. Check SOUTHcat by title. Winter issue: renaissance;
spring: Elizabethan and Jacobean drama; summer: 18th century autumn:
victorian and romantic
- Review of English Studies. 1950- . Check SOUTHcat for Library holdings.
- Reader’s Guide To The Twentieth Century Novel. Ref. PR 888 .P53 R43
For books, do keyword searches in SOUTHcat,
our Library catalog:
|"anglo saxon" and bibliography
||"old english" and bibliography
|"middle english" and bibliography
||"early modern" and bibliography
|"victorian poetry" and criticism
OR subject searches, such as--
(Capital letters are not necessary; omit punctuation.)
The following three series published by Gale have excerpts from critical articles; author indexes, cumulative title indexes. The database Literature Resource Center contains much of this material.
Search SOUTHcat by title for holdings for these three representative titles:
Literature Criticism from 1400 To 1800. 1984- . Ref. PN 86 .L56
Twentieth Century Literary Criticism. 1978- . Ref. PN 771 .T9
Shakespearean Criticism. 1984- Ref. PR 2965 .S43
- Library of Literary Criticism of English and American Authors. 1901-1905.
Ref. 83 .M73 Familiarly known as Moulton’s. Collected criticism of leading
authors by their contemporaries, often their rivals.
DICTIONARIES AND HANDBOOKS
keyword search: dictionaries and "english literature"
subject search : english literature [and scroll until you find the
appropriate subdivision, i. e., dictionaries]
- Handbook To Literature. 6th ed. Ref. PN 41 .H6 1992
- Cambridge Guide To Literature in English. Ref. PR 85 .C29 1993
- Johns Hopkins Guide To Literary Theory and Criticism. Ref. PN 81 .J554 2005
- Oxford Companion To English Literature. 6th ed. Ref PR
19 .D73 2000
Oxford Companion To the Romantic Age: British Culture, 1776-1832. Ref.
PR 447 .R64 1999
Oxford English Dictionary. 20 vols. + supplements. Ref. PE 1625 .O87 1989
- For etymologies of English words.
- Dictionary of British Literary Characters. 2 vols. Ref. PR 830 .C47
- Shakespeare’s Characters for Students. Ref. PR 2989 .S53 1997
- Dictionary of Irish Literature. Ref. PR 8706 ,/d5 1996
- New Fowler’s Modern English Usage. 3d ed. Ref. PE 1628 .F65 1996
- Gazetteer of the British Isles. Ref. DA 640 .B2 1970
- New Pelican Guide To English Literature. Rev. and Exp.
- Ref. PR 83 .N49 1982 Library has vols. 2-10.
- Short Oxford History of English Literature. Bookstacks PR 83 .S26
Cassell's History of English Literature. Peter Conrad. Bookstacks PR 83 .C62 2003
- Concise Chronology of English Literature. Bookstacks PR 87 .S53
- Oxford History of English Literature. Series.
- Search this title on SOUTHcat
to retrieve menu (and call nos.)
Do you want a book-length biography? Search by subject on SOUTHcat,
last name first.
- Biographical Dictionary of Irish Writers. Ref. PR 8727 .B5 1985
- British Writers [Scribner’s] 1979- . Ref. PR 85 .B688 Library has
vols. 1-8, plus supplements.
InfoTrac’s Literature Resource Center
- has much of this Scribner material in a subscription database available
from the home page.
- Dictionary of National Biography. 22 vols. Ref. DA 28 .D47 1959 Supplements.
- Dictionary of National Biography. Missing Persons. Ref. DA 28 .D525
- Dictionary of Literary Biography. 1978- . Ref. PS 129 .D5
- Many volumes of this series concern authors in the various genres and periods
of English literature.
- St. James Reference Guide To English Literature. 8 vols. Ref. PR 85 .S243 1985
- The MLA Style Manual and Guide To Scholarly Publishing. Ref.
PN 147 .G444 1998
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers. 5th ed.
Ref. LB 2369 .G53 2003
- Columbia Guide To Online Style. Reserve/Ref. PN 171 .T56
Research and Documentation Online. http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/hacker/resdoc
OTHER ENGLISH LITERATURES
Subject or author searching for a particular writer, examples: rhys, jean;
Follow these models for subject searching:
india and literature
|(this heading is anomalous in form)
Follow these models for keyword with boolean searching:
india and literature
|"south africa" and literature
literature and commonwealth
|"english literature" and "post colonial"
- Encyclopedia of Post-Colonial Literatures. 2 vols. Ref. PR 9080 .A52
Post Colonial Studies Reader. Bookstacks PR 9080 .P57 1995
International Literature in English: Essays on the Major Writers. Ref. PR 9080 .I57 1991
Fifty Caribbean Writers: A Bio-Bibliographical Critical Sourcebook. Ref. PR 9205.A52 P54 1986
- Recommended Reading: 500 Classics Reviewed. Ref. Z 1035 .R37 1995
- Masterplots (1968) 8 vols. Ref. PN 44 .M3
- Reader’s Guide to the Twentieth Century Novel. Ref. PR 888 .P53 R43
- Book of 1,000 Plays. Ref. 6112.5 .F54 1989
- Summaries are very sketchy for short stories; it's probably better just
to read the story again.
ART OF LITERARY CRITICISM
Try these subject searches:
- Altick, R. Guide To Literary Criticism and Research. 4th
ed. Ref. PN 81 .S73 1993
- Handbook for Academic Authors. Ref. PN 146 .L84 1995 also Bookstacks
- Redrawing the Boundaries: The Transformation of English and American
- Ref. / Bookstacks PR 21 .R43 1992
- Romantic Poetry: Recent Revisionist Criticism. Bookstacks PR 590
English Server. http://eserver.org
Complete Works of Shakespeare. http://the-tech.mit.edu/Shakespeare/works.html
Humanities Text Initiative. http://www.hti.umich.edu
VoS: Voice of the Shuttle. http://vos.ucsb.edu/index.asp
British Poetry, 1780-1900: A Hypertext Archives of Scholarly Editions. http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/britpo.html
Romantic Circles. http://www.rc.umd.edu
Other relevant WWW sites at http://www.southalabama.edu/univlib/picks/lit.html
or call (251) 460-7025.
to SOUTHcat Plus
Last updated: 6/14/2012 ap