is a list of selected resources. Please consult a reference librarian for
assistance in using these materials or in locating additional information.
You may contact us at email@example.com or
at the telephone number listed above.
ENCYCLOPEDIAS AND DICTIONARIES
Dictionary of American History. Ref. E 174 .D52 1976
Encyclopedia of African American Culture and History. Ref. E 185 .E54
Encyclopedia of African Nations and Civilizations. Ref. DT 14 .E43
Encyclopedia of American Historical Documents. Ref. E 173 .E54 2004
Encyclopedia of American History. Ref. E 174 .E53 2003
Encyclopedia of American Social History. Bookstacks HN 57 .E58 1993
Encyclopedia of Colonial and Revolutionary America. Ref. E 88 .E63
Encyclopedia of Modern Asia. Ref. DS 4 .E53 2002
Encyclopedia of Russian History. Ref. DK 14 .E53 2004
Encyclopedia of Southern History. Ref. F 207.7 .E52
Encyclopedia of the Renaissance. Ref. CB 361 .E52 1999
Oxford Encyclopedia of Economic History. Ref. HC 15 .O94 2003
Oxford Encyclopedia of the Reformation. Ref. BR 302.8 .O93 1996
St. James Encyclopedia of Labor History Worldwide. Ref. HD 4839 .S74 2004
War and American Popular Culture. Ref. E 181 .W26 1999
INDEXES AND ABSTRACTS
America: History and Life.
Ref. Z 1236 .A48 1964-1998 (Fee based mediated searches available –
ask at Reference)
Includes articles on the history of the United States
and Canada as well as articles dealing with current American life and times.
- Historical Abstracts.
Ref. D 299 .H5 1955-1998 (Fee based mediated searches available – ask
- Summarizes articles on political, diplomatic, economic, social, cultural,
and intellectual history from international publications. Divided into two
parts: Modern History Abstracts and Twentieth Century Abstracts.
After 1964, the United States and Canada were excluded and incorporated into America:
History and Life.
- JSTOR. SOUTHcat
Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases.
- A collection of full text journals. Covers older issues, does not include
current within 3 to 5 years.
- Humanities Index. Ref. AI 3 .H84 1974/75-1997/98
- Preceded by the International Index (1907-1965) and the Social
Sciences and Humanities Index (1965-1974). Includes citations to book
- Expanded Academic ASAP(Gale/InfoTrac).
SOUTHcat Plus:Articles, Indexes, Databases.
- Includes some full text articles.
- Public Affairs Information Service (P.A.I.S.).
Ref. Z 7163 .P9 1945-2000
- The unique value of this indexing bulletin is that it selects material
from a variety of published sources written in English--books, periodicals,
pamphlets, and government documents.
- Academic Search Premier(EBSCO). SOUTHcat
Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases.
- Includes some Fulltext articles.
- Article First. SOUTHcat
Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases: FirstSearch
Abstracts/Digital Dissertations. SOUTHcat
Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases.
Social Sciences Citation Index. Ref. Z 7161 .S65 1977-2001
- This computer-based index is probably the broadest in the social sciences
in terms of inclusion, It is made up of three major parts. The Source
Index lists current journal articles alphabetically arranged by author,
and number of footnotes used. The Permuterm Subject Index is made
up by combining every two significant terms in the title of an article. The Citation
Index is a listing of every book, article, etc., no matter how old, that
has been cited in the current literature.
- C.R.I.S.; The Combined Retrospective Index Set to Journals in History,
1838-1974. 11 vols. Ref. Z 6205 .C18
- Indexes 243 English language history periodicals. Volumes 1 to 4 cover
world history and 5 to 9 cover United States history. Volumes 10 and 11 index
Archive Online. SOUTHcat
Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases.
with Full Text. SOUTHcat
Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases.
- Writings on American History. Ref. Z 1236 .L331 and Docs Bookshelves
- Issued by the American Historical Association since 1902. Its goal was
to list everything published in the relevant year. After 1960 lists articles
- (London) Times Index. (1968 to date). Ref. AI 21 .T55 and Microforms
--2nd Floor South
- Current Indexes are in Reference. Earlier years are on microform and are
filed with the newspaper on the second floor. Title varies: Palmer's Index
to the Times Newspaper. 1790- 1905 (fiche); Annual Index to the Times.
1906-1913 (film); Official Index to the Times. 1914- 1957 (film); Index
to the Times. 1957-1972 (film).
- New York Times Index. Ref. AI 21 .N45
- Covers 1851 to date. Because the index abstracts each article in detail,
it is frequently consulted to verify names, dates, and events. Dates frequently
found in the New York Times Index can be used as a guide to articles
in other newspapers. Has a separate Personal Name Index.
- Essay and General Literature
Index. Ref. AI 3 .E752 1900/33-1998
- Indexes collections of essays, articles, and speeches relating to several
subject fields. Includes biographies if in collected works.
- Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature. Ref. AI 3 .R48 1900-1999
and SOUTHcat Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases.
- Covers primarily popular periodicals, it is useful because it supplies
a contemporary viewpoint on events as they occurred. Goes back to 1890.
- Nineteenth Century Readers Guide to Periodical Literature, 1890-1899.
Ref. AI 3 .R47
GUIDES AND HANDBOOKS
Doing Oral History.
Bookstacks D 16.14 .R57 2003
American Years: A Chronology of United States History.
Ref. E 174.5
Ref. E 173 .A793 and SOUTHcat Plus: Electronic Reference
American Historical Association's Guide to Historical Literature
Ref. Z 6201 .A55 1995
Researching, Writing, and Publishing Local History
. Ref. and Bookstacks
D 13 .F387 1981
Research in Archives: The Use of Unpublished Primary Sources
D 16 .B87
Reference Sources in History.
Ref. Z 6201 .F72 1990
Sources of Information for Historical Research.
Bookstacks Z 6201
Harvard Guide to American History
. Ref. Z 1236 .F77 1974
A selective bibliography which has earned a reputation
as one of the most scholarly and complete bibliographies in American history.
of Concepts in History. Ref. D 13 .R49 1986
Columbia Chronologies of Asian History and Culture. Ref. DS 33 .C63
Timetables of African-American History. Ref. E 185 .H295 1996
Oxford Guide to Library Research. Bookstacks. Z 710 .M23 2005
Library of Congress. National Union Catalog, Pre-1956 Imprints. 754
Ref. Z 881 .A1 U518 (Shelved in Book Catalog Area. Ask
at Reference Desk for assistance). Since 1870 the Library of Congress has
received for deposit a copy of all works copyrighted in the U.S. Its Catalog is
a facsimile of the printed cards issued for each title. An author and main-entry
- British Museum. General Catalog of Printed Books to 1955.
27 volumes. Ref. Z 921 .B87
- Covers books from the fifteenth century in all languages, except the Oriental.
- Library of American Civilization. 4 volume index. Ref. and microforms
Z 1236 .L5 1971
- The Library of American Civilization is a collection of materials on microfiche
relating to all aspects of American life and literature from their beginnings
to the outbreak of World War I. Includes pamphlets, periodicals, documents,
biographies and autobiographies, fictional works, poetry and many rare books
not generally available. LAC is published on 12,474 fiche which are located
in the Documents/Serials area.
- WorldCat. SOUTHcat
Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases: FirstSearch: WorldCat
- Lists books and other materials in libraries worldwide.
BIBLIOGRAPHIES – UNITED
Evans, Charles. American Bibliography; A Chronological Dictionary of
All Books, Pamphlets and
Periodical Publications Printed in the United
States of America From the Genesis of Printing in 1639 Down to and Including
the Year 1800. 14 volumes. Ref. Z 1215 .E923 A year-by-year record
with an index of authors, classified subjects and printers and publishers
in each volume. Volume 14 is a cumulative author-title index to the whole
- Shipton, Clifford. National Index of American Imprints Through
1800: The Short-Title Evans.
- 2 volumes. Ref. Z 1215 .S495 A combined alphabetical index to Evan's American
Bibliography, with corrections, and R. Bristol's "Not-in-Evans" items.
- Bristol, Roger. Supplement to Charles Evans' American Bibliography. Ref.
Z 1215 .E92334
- A chronological list, 1646-1800, of "not in Evans" items.
- Shipton, Clifford. Early American Imprints, 1639-1800. Microforms
- Contains complete text of every extant book, pamphlet and broadside printed
in the U.S. from 1639 to the end of the year 1800. Keyed to Charles Evans' American
Bibliography and in numerical sequence by Evans number.
- Shaw, Ralph. American Bibliography: A Preliminary Checklist for 1801-1819.
- Ref. Z 1215.S48
Gathered entirely from secondary sources, such as the records
of the American Antiquarian Society and the catalogs of selected large libraries,
this bibliography lists books, periodicals, newspapers, sermons, speeches,
and government documents of historical importance. Index for authors and
- Shoemaker, Richard. Checklist of American Imprints for 1820-1829. 10
volumes. Ref. Z 1215 .S5
Roorbach, Orville. Bibliotheca Americana. Ref.
Z 1215 .A3 1939
- Catalog of American Publications, Including Reprints and Original Works,
From 1820-1861. Includes books, periodicals, and section on law books,
state reports and digests. Continued by Kelly, American Catalog of Books.
- Kelly, James. American Catalogue of Books (Original and Reprints) Published
- United States From Jan. 1861 to Jan. 1871. 2 volumes. Ref.
Z 1215 .A4 1938
The first volume covers the Civil War period 1861-65, and
all the titles, except a separate list of forty-two, were published in the
North. The second volume 1866-70, includes some items omitted from the first
volume and from Roorbach. Author, title, and series entries are interfiled.
Continuation of Bibliotheca Americana, continued by American Catalogue,
- Cooper, Gaylor. Checklist of American Imprints. 10 volumes.Ref.
Z 1215 .S5
- Library has 1830-1838, 1845. Continues Shoemaker, Checklist of American
- Sabin, Joseph. Bibliotheca Americana. A Dictionary of Books Relating
to America, From Its
- Discovery to the Present Time. 29 volumes in 15. Ref. Z 1201
Includes books, pamphlets, and periodicals printed in America and
works about this country printed elsewhere. Entries are arranged alphabetically
by author. No title or subject indexes.
- American Catalogue ... July 1, 1876-Dec. 31, 1910. 8 volumes in
13. Ref. Z 1215 .A52
- Started as a trade bibliography of books in print and for sale to the public.
BIBLIOGRAPHIES – GREAT
Pollard, Alfred and G.R. Redgrave. A Short-Title Catalogue of Books Printed
Scotland, and Ireland and of English Books
Printed Abroad, 1475-1640. Ref. Z 2002 .P77 1946.
- Wing, Donald. Short-Title
Catalogue of Books Printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales,
- and British America, and of English Books Printed in Other Countries,
1641-1700. 3 volumes
Ref. Z 2002 .W52
- Kellaway, William. Bibliography of Historical Works Issued in the United
- Ref. Z 6201 .K4 1969
BIBLIOGRAPHIES - OTHER
Marshall, Robert. Short-Title Catalog of Books Printed in Italy and of
Books in Italian Printed Abroad,
1501-1600. Ref. Z 2342 .M37
- Besterman, Theodore. World
Bibliography of Bibliographies: And of Bibliographical
- Catalogs, Calendars, Abstracts, Digests, Indexes, and the Like.
4th ed. 5 volumes. Ref. Z 1002 .B5685
Index in the fifth volume is a dictionary
catalog of authors, editors, translators, titles of serials and anonymous
works, libraries, and patents.
- Bibliographic Index. Ref. Z 1002 .B595
- Emphasizes material published in English books, pamphlets, and periodicals
- Coulter, Edith. Historical Bibliographies: A Systematic and Annotated
Guide. Ref. Z 6201 .A1 C8 1965.
A compilation of abstracts of doctoral dissertations
submitted to University Microfilms by cooperating institutions in the United
States and Canada since 1861. Includes master’s theses since 1988
Warren. Dissertations in History: An Index to Dissertations Completed
- Departments of United States and Canadian Universities. Ref.
Z 6201 .K8
Volume One covers the period 1873-1960. Volume Two covers 1961
through June 1970
- American Doctoral Dissertations. Ref. Z 5055 .U49 A62
- Compiled for the Association of Research Libraries. This work consolidates
into one list, the dissertations for which doctoral degrees were granted
in the United States and Canada during the academic year covered, as well
as those available on microfilm from University Microfilms. 1964-1995
Includes book reviews.
- Expanded Academic ASAP. SOUTHcat
Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases: Gale/InfoTrac
- Includes book reviews.
- Index to Book Reviews in Historical Periodicals. Ref. Z 6205 .B37
- Covers 1973-1976. Arrangement is by author with a separate title index.
Citation gives name of reviewer, journal, volume and page where review is
- Index to Book Reviews in the Humanities. Ref. Z 1035 .A1 I63
- Covers 1960-1990.
- America: History and Life. Ref.
Z 1236 .A48 1964-1998(Mediated searches available – ask at Reference)
- Gives bibliographic information about the book, brief
excerpts from the reviews it lists, and exact citation where the review can
be found and tells how long the review is. Covers eighty-three journals.
- Book Review Index. Ref. Z 1035 .A1 B66
- Covers 1965 to 1999.
- Humanities Index. Ref. AI 3 .H84 1974-98
- Major history journals are indexed in Humanities Index, but you
may also find useful material in the Social Sciences Index which is
the other half of the split. Arrangement of reviews is the same for each
- Reviews in American History. Ref. Z 1236 .R47 and JSTOR SOUTHcat
Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases
- Covers 1973 to date.
- JSTOR. SOUTHcat Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases
A consolidated index to more than 3,200,000 biographical
sketches in over 350 current and retrospective biographical dictionaries.
National Biography. Ref. CT 213 .A68 1999
Dictionary of National
Biography. Ref. DA 28 .D47
Dictionary of American Biography.
Ref. E 176 .D57
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Ref.
DA 28 .O95 2004
Plus: Fulltext Journals & Indexes
Index to U.S. government documents. Covers 1976 to date.
Record. Documents - 2nd Floor South and SOUTHcat Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases: LexisNexis (for 1985 to date.)
- The record of actions in Congress, particularly of the debates and sessions
on the floor of both houses. Can also aid in tracing the history of a bill
through Congress. 1873 to date.
- CIS US Serials Set. Ready Ref. Z 1223 .Z9 C65 1975
- Includes documents which congressional committees produce in the course
of their investigations and the reports they send back to Congress.
- LexisNexis: Statistical.
SOUTHcat Plus: Articles, Indexes, Databases
- A comprehensive guide to the statistical publications of the U.S. Government.
Datapedia of the United States, 1790-2000. Ref. HA 202 .K87 1994
Historical Statistics of the United States, Colonial Times to 1970. Ref.
HA 202 .B87 1975
International Historical Statistics: The Americas 1750-2000. Ref.
HA 175 .M55 2003
International Historical Statistics: Europe 1750-2000. Ref. HA 1107
USA LIBRARY CATALOG
Sample Searches on SOUTHcat
|china -- social conditions
|united states -- social life and customs
|china -- biography
|united states -- history
| rome -- history -- empire
|women -- united states -- history
|greece -- civilization
|united states -- emigration and immigration -- history
|public history -- united states
|united states -- history -- colonial
|united states -- cultural property
|united states -- social life and customs -- 1775-1865
|Keyword (these can be used on other databases also, but you
may have to change the truncation symbol from the question mark ? --
asterisk *, exclamation point ! or dollar sign $ )
|women and "social conditions" and "united states"
|japan and “foreign relations”
|"southern states" and family and "civil war"
|asia and imperialism
slavery and "united states" and history
|India and “economic conditions”
|"united states" and "popular culture"
Greece and slavery
|"african american" and social and history
|rome and “social life”
|immigra? and history and "united states"
|slave? and narrative?
|labor? and history and "united states"
or call (251) 460-7025.
Back to SOUTHcat Plus
Last updated: 7/23/07 kpw