This is a guide to library resources that may
prove useful. It is not an exhaustive list; please consult a reference librarian
for help in locating additional materials. Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- American Philosophical Association. http://www.udel.edu/apa
EstimeLinks. Philosophy Resources on the Internet. . http://www.epistemelinks.com/index.aspx
Worldwide Philosophy Resources. http://www.erraticimpact.com
Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. http://www.utm.edu/research/iep
VoS: Voice of the Shuttle: Philosophy. http://vos.ucsb.edu
INDEXES AND BIBLIOGRAPHIES
- Philosopher’s Index 1967- . annual cumulation. Ref. Z 7127 .P47
- Printed index through 1998. Subscription database from 1940 to current. Also link from University Library home page (Articles, Indexes, Databases). Many links to full text. Several languages.
- Dissertation Abstracts International. Citations and abstracts only.Link from the University Library home page (Articles, Indexes, Databases).
Bibliographie de la Philosophie / Bibliography of Philosophy. 1954- . Ref. Z 7127 .B5
- Library has vols. 14-24(1967-77) and vols. 26-29(1979-82). Books only. In French and in English.
- Expanded Academic ASAP (InfoTrac)
- Covers many subjects, scholarly and non-scholarly periodicals. Link through University Library home page go to (Articles, Indexes, Databases).
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCO).
- General academic database similarly accessed through Library home page.
Online databases require sign-on authentication, but password not needed for databases in campus domain.
- LEXIS NEXIS. Includes some 20 philosophy journals(full text). Latest 5 years not generally available.
Project Muse. Includes some philosophy journals.
DICTIONARIES AND ENCYCLOPEDIAS
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. 10 vols. Ref. B 51 .R68 1998
Encyclopedia of Bioethics. 4 vols. Ref. QH 332 .E52
Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy. Ref. B 41 .C35 1995
Dictionary of Continental Philosophy. Ref. B 41 .D46 2006
Dictionary of the History of Ideas: Studies of the Pivotal Ideas. 1973-74. 5 vols. Ref. CB 5 .D52
Encyclopedia of Eastern Philosophy and Religion. Ref. BL 1005 .L4813 1994
- Oxford History of Western Philosophy. Ref. B 72 .O8 1994
Cambridge History of Eighteenth Century Philosophy. Bookstacks B 802 .C24 2006
Contemporary Perspectives on the History of Philosophy. Bookstacks B 73 .C66 1983
Renaissance Philosophy. Bookstacks B 775 .C67 1992
- Biography and Genealogy Master Index. Link through Electronic Reference Books on Library home page. Indexing (only) for print sources.
Biographical Dictionary of Twentieth Century Philosophers. Ref. B 69 .B4 1997
Fifty Major Philosophers: A Reference Guide. Bookstacks B 72 .C59 1987
Women Philosophers: A Bio-critical Source Book. Ref. B 105 .W6 K47 1989
Author searching? Key in last name first, for example:
whitehead alfred north
Use subject search for full-length biographies in SOUTHcat, use surname first. Examples
comte august voltaire
Search SOUTHcat catalog by subject or keyword. The Library of Congress Subject Headings, a set of red volumes kept in the Reference area, is the authority for subject searching. Also try keyword searching.
Determinism or free will
philosophy in literature
Existentialism and sartre
Capitalization is unimportant in searching SOUTHcat, the catalog. This includes boolean operators and, or, not used in keyword searching. For keyword searching, place phrases in quotes. Don’t use punctuation, which here includes hyphens and apostrophes. The truncation sign is ?
philosophy and dictionaries
or call (251) 460-7025.
to SOUTHcat Plus
Last updated: 7/12/11 kpw