Chemistry Assignment (Amy Prendergast)
Assignment: Use ACS Journals to find an article on green chemistry. Compare this article to a website found with an Internet search engine.
- Go to "Articles, Indexes, Databases" on the University Library Homepage.
- Choose ACS Journals from the alphabetical list on the lower part of this page. Start your search using keyword/s.
- Pick an article that looks good from the results and look at the title, abstract, and any keywords.
- Select more appropriate terms, return to search screen, and use the new terms to modify search.
- From the results, choose an article and write a brief annotation, noting date of article, author affiliation if any, and any other relevant information.
- Search for website using same keywords.
- Choose a website and write a brief summary or annotation.
- Compare the website with the article with regard to authors (address or other biographical info, affiliation, qualifications), currency of publication/updating, and bibliography or other resource information given.
Use: Homework assignment and short writing assignment. For "W' classes, allow peer review, revision and a small percentage for a grade.
Objectives: Make students aware of the value of this authoritative source for chemistry literature. Encourage critical thinking and effective writing while exploring the differences and relative value of databases compared to websites.