Recognizing Citations--What are you looking at
Assignment: Identify the type of source by just looking at a database or bibliographic citation.
- Review the "Periodical, Journal, Magazine, Serial" webpage.
- Print out the Citation Exercise
- Identify what kind of a publication the citation represents by putting its initial in the space provided.
- Underline the title of each periodical.
- Circle at least one part of the citation that was relevant to your decision.
- Optional: Write a (complete) sentence or two for each as to what made you decide on the type of publication.
Support: Discuss the different publishing formats and their purposes. Also talk about the importance of converting database citations into the correct style for the field of study.
Use: In class or as individual homework with a discussion of the answers in class--perhaps having each student explain one choice. Ask what words or other things made them decide on a particular format.
Objective: To encourage students to evaluate and select appropriate information sources just by the citation. To help students be more efficient and effective in their searches.