Communication Assignment (Kathy Jones)
Assignment: Find an article on one of the topics listed below-or one provided by your instructor-using the Communication and Mass Media Complete (EBSCO) database. Identify Subject Headings/Descriptors. Write a correct APA style citation for the article.
public relations and image
advertising and children
rhetoric and political
- Choose "Articles, Indexes, Databases" from the University Library Homepage.
- Find Communication and Mass Media Complete under EBSCO or scroll down the alphabetical list of databases.
- Using your terms find a scholarly "peer reviewed" journal article that is available in electronic full-text or on the shelves in the Library.
- Hint: You may have to "Check for Full Text;" jumping to another database to access the full text of your article.
- Hint: If it is not available as full text online then "Check SOUTHcat Catalog for availability" in order to see if we have a print subscription to the journal and to identify its location in the library.
- Fill in this form
- From this information create an APA style citation for the article. (Hint: click on title of the article in Communication and Mass Media Complete; click on Save; choose APA format; click save again. Use the resulting citation as a starting point, but check to make sure of its accuracy. It is not always accurate and you are liable for any discrepancies.)
Support: Do the assignment yourself. Discuss the use, value and coverage of the Communication and Mass Media Completedatabase. Provide a list of relevant topics with one for each student--to avoid possible sharing. Have them use this form.
Use: As a homework assignment. Have them compare their findings in class. If it is a "W" class, allow a few points for written section.
Objectives: •Make students aware of the existence, value and use of the authoritative source for the literature in these social sciences. •Point out the value of controlled vocabulary(subject terms) and detailed records. •Encourage perfect APA citation style creation.