Earth Sciences Assignment (Amy Prendergast)
Assignment: Use the GeoRef database to find an article on a topic relevant to the course such as sedimentary deposition.
- Start your search using keywords.
- Pick an article that looks good from the results and look at the complete record to see the descriptors/subject headings.
- Choose appropriate descriptors, go back to search, and use descriptors to narrow search.
- Choose an available article from the results. To see if an article is available, if there is a “Link to,” click it. Otherwise, click on “Check Full-text Journal List for availability.”
- Write a brief annotation, noting date of article, author affiliation if any, and any other relevant information. Indicate how available - full text, or in Library print or microform holdings.
- Search for a website using the same subject headings.
- Choose a website and write a brief summary or annotation.
- Compare the two with regard to authors (address or other biographical info, affiliation, qualifications), currency of publication/updating, and bibliography or other resource information given.
Support: Discuss the use, value and coverage GeoRef database. Provide a list of relevant topics with one for each student to avoid copying.
Use: Homework assignment and short writing assignment. For "W' classes, allow peer review, revision and a small percentage for a grade.
Objectives: Make students aware of the value of this authoritative source for earth science literature. Encourage critical thinking and effective writing while exploring the differences and relative value of databases compared to websites.