History Assignment (Kathy Jones)
Assignment: Find an article on one of the topics listed below, or one provided by your instructor, using the JSTOR database. Write a correct Chicago style citation for the article.
revolutionary war and united states
europe and middle ages
slaves and united states
world war 1939-1945
military planning and united states
- Choose "Articles, Indexes, Databases" from the University Library Homepage.
- Find JSTOR in the Multidisciplinary Collection or scroll down the alphabetical list of databases.
- Here are some very short video tutorials on using JSTOR.
- Select "Advanced Search."
- Limit to TYPE: Article and limit to only journals in the discipline of "History."
- Using your terms find a scholarly journal article that is available in full-text online in JSTOR.
- Fill in this form
- From this information create an Chicago style footnote and bibliography entry for the article.
Support: Do the assignment yourself. Discuss the use, value and coverage of JSTOR database. Provide a list of relevant topics with one for each student--to avoid possible sharing. Have them use this form.
Use: As a homework assignment. Have them compare their findings in class. If it is a "W" class, allow a few points for a writing exercise.
Objectives: •Make students aware of the existence, value and use of the authoritative source for the literature in History. •Practice in Chicago footnote and bibliography entry styles.