Philosophy Assignment (Jan Sauer)
Assignment: Find an article on one of the topics listed below or one assigned by your professor using the Philosopher's Index(EBSCO) database. Identify Subject Headings/Descriptors. Write a correct MLA style citation for the article.
philosophy and ecology
politics and pragmatism
technology and cognition
ethics and stem cell research
- Choose "Articles, Indexes, Databases" from the University Library Homepage.
- Find Philosopher's Index under EBSCO or scroll down the alphabetical list of databases.
- Using your terms find an article that is available in electronic full-text or on the shelves in the Library.
- Hint: You may have to "Check for Full Text;" jumping to another database to access the full text of your article. See Step Four of this Finding Articles webpage.
- Hint: You may have to "Check SOUTHcat Catalog for availability" in order to see if we have a print subscription to the journal and to identify its location in the library. See Step Five of this Finding Articles webpage.
- From this information create an MLA style citation for the article. Hint: click on title of the article in Philospher's Index; click on Save; choose MLA format; click "save" again. Use the resulting citation as a starting point, but check to make sure of its accuracy. (It is not always accurate and you are liable for any discrepancies.)
- Write a brief annotation for this article.
Support: Discuss the use, value and coverage of the Philosopher's Index. Provide a list of relevant topics with one for each student--to avoid possible sharing.
Use: As a homework assignment. Have them compare their findings in class. If it is a "W" class, allow a few points for writing an annotation.
Objectives: •Make students aware of the existence, value and use of the disciplinary source for philosophical literature. •Encourage perfect MLA citation style creation.