Psychology Assignment (Kathy Jones)
Assignment: Find an article on one of the topics listed below using the PsycINFO(EBSCO) database. Identify Subject Headings/Descriptors. Write a correct APA style citation for the article.
eating disorders and body image
cognitive psychology and children
personality and friendship
- Choose "Articles, Indexes, Databases" from the University Library Homepage.
- Find PsycINFO under EBSCO or scroll down the alphabetical list of databases.
- Using your terms find a "Peer Reviewed Journal" article that is available in electronic full-text or on the shelves in the Library.
- Hint: You may have to "Check for Full Text;" jumping to another database to access the full text of your article. See Step Four of this Finding Articles webpage.
- Hint: You may have to "Check SOUTHcat Catalog for availability" in order to see if we have a print subscription to the journal and to identify its location in the library. See Step Five of this Finding Articles webpage.
- Fill in this form: Citation Information
- From this information create an APA style citation for the article. Hint: click on title of the article in PsycINFO; click on Save; choose APA format; click save again. Use the resulting citation as a starting point, but check to make sure of its accuracy. (It is not always accurate and you are liable for any discrepancies.)
Support: Discuss the use, value and coverage of the PsycINFO database. Provide a list of relevant topics with one for each student--to avoid possible sharing.
Use: As a homework assignment. Have them compare their findings in class. If it is a "W" class, allow a few points for written section.
Objectives: •Make students aware of the existence, value and use of the authoritative source for psychology literature. •Point out the value of controlled vocabulary(subject headings) and detailed records. •Encourage perfect APA citation style creation.