Periodicals: Classifying Types
Assignment: Compare periodicals using the periodical comparison form. Then, in a short essay, briefly contrast the three different kinds of periodicals: magazines, trade journals and scholarly (also called academic) journals.
- Review the "Periodical, Journal, Magazine, Serial" webpage.
- Print out the trade journal list.
- Print out the periodical comparison assignment form.
- Take the two printouts to the current periodicals section on the second floor, south side of the University Library.
- Complete the assignment according to directions. If you can, choose trade and academic journals in your field or discipline.
- Take the information you discovered and write a one page essay explaining the differences of audience, purpose, language, author credentials, physical formats and anything else you discovered.