On this page:
What is the SOUTHcat Catalog?
The SOUTHcat Catalog is the University of South Alabama Libraries' online system. It includes the holdings of the University Library, the Biomedical Libraries Campus, Medical Center, and Children and Women's sites, the MCOB Business Library and USA Baldwin County.
SOUTHcat lists the books, journal titles (not the articles themselves), videos and other materials owned by the University of South Alabama Libraries. For journal articles, see an index such as InfoTrac or EBSCO listed on the homepages of the University Library (http://library.southalabama.edu) and the Biomedical Library (http://southmed.usouthal.edu/library/index.html)
Connecting to the SOUTHcat Catalog
Because the SOUTHcat Catalog is web-based, you should be able to access it with any web browser; it is recommended that you have the latest version of either Internet Explorer or Firefox. IE can be downloaded from Microsoft's web site at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/, while you can get Firefox from http://www.mozilla.com/. The address for web access to the catalog is http://southcat.southalabama.edu.
Books and media items can be renewed online using the following procedure:
- Access SOUTHcat Plus at http://library.southalabama.edu
- Click on Your Library Account.
- Enter either your J Number (including the initial J00), your borrower's card bar code (for students, this is the number on the back of your id card -- it is NOT your student id number -- for faculty, this is on the front of your library card), or your social security number.
- Enter your last name. NOTE: Your name must be entered exactly as it appears in USA's official records. If you get a message that the patron name is not a valid one and your name contains a suffix, such as Jr. or III, enter your last name, a space and the suffix. If this still does not work, contact Circulation at (251) 460-7028.
- The next screen should be your patron record showing your name, address, etc., and the items currently charged out to you. If they qualify for renewal, there should be a column offering that option.
- You can either check the items you want to renew and choose Renew Checked Items from the pull-down menu below the items or you can choose Renew All Items from University of South Alabama Libraries.
- Be sure that you Logoff, especially if you are on a public access computer.
- Have you included the initial J00 of your J Number when logging in?
- Maximum number of renewals exceeded?
- Title already overdue?
- Title has a hold or recall on it?
- Too many fines?
- Too many overdues?
Call the Circulation Desk at (251) 460-7028.
Holds and Recalls
Holds and Recalls may only be placed on items that are already checked out. To place a hold or recall, use the following procedure:
- Access the library web site at http://library.southalabama.edu
- Under Finding Books, click on SOUTHcat Catalog.
- Do a search to bring up the particular title you want, then click on the title.
- Choose the Hold/Recall from the top of the SOUTHcat screen.
- Enter your J Number, your library card number or your Social Security number and your last name.
- From the drop-down menu, choose either Hold or Recall. Do NOT choose Recall for an item that is due in less than 14 days.
- Enter your J Number, your library card number or your social security number. If you don't enter the number again, you will get a message that "The library card number you entered does not match that of the currently logged in patron. You may retry your request or log out and start over. "
- From the drop-down menu, choose the place where you want to pick up your requested book. The default is the University Library Circulation Desk, so if you want to pick it up anywhere else you need to specify the location.
- Click on Submit Request.
- You should get a message that "Your patron-initiated request was successful."
- Remember to Logoff when you are done, especially if you are on a public workstation.
The following directions are for creating and using an EndNote Connection file to SOUTHcat with EndNote X1.
- Open EndNote
- Choose Edit, Connection Files, New Connection
- A new, untitled connection window will open.
- Click on Connection Settings and enter the following information in the specified fields:
- Server: Voyager
- Server Address: voyager.usouthal.edu
- Database: VOYAGER
- Database Name: VOYAGER
- Port ID: 7090
- Leave the rest of the settings as they are.
- Leave all fields in the Login Information area blank.
- When done, choose File, Save As. A Save Connection File As box will open.
- Name the file SOUTHcat.enz and save the file in the Connections folder (C:\Program files\EndNote X1\Connections\) .
- To connect to the SOUTHcat catalog, choose Tools, Online Search, and New Search.
- A dialog box showing all the connection files will open.
- Find SOUTHcat and click on Choose.
- A Search box will open, allowing you to search the catalog and download citations.