1. Read the following information about Web Publishing
at the University of South Alabama:
2. Print the Webmaster Agreement
Form, and fill in the requested information. Have
your department chair* sign it and mail or FAX to:
University of South Alabama
307 University Blvd. FCS 12
Mobile, Alabama 36688
(251) 461-1352 FAX
you are a registered USA student organization, you must
have the Office of Campus Involvement (Student Center,
room 129) sign the agreement as the department chair.
3. When the USA Webmaster receives the Webmaster Agreement
Form, he will:
a user account on the USA Web Server (www.southalabama.edu)
a directory to you on the USA Web Server
you the appropriate "rights" to publish
to this directory
directions to you on how to login to your account
and transfer your web site pages to your directory
4. When you receive your e-mail instructions from the USA
Webmaster, you should read them carefully, and immediately
change your web server account password after you logon
the first time.
5. Access the web page authoring information links from
Publishing Links page for help with web page development.
Non-credit classes in Web Publishing are offered for
USA faculty and staff by the Academic Computing section
of the Computer Services Center. Please call 460-6161
for more information.
6. Create your web site on your own PC using a Web Authoring
software package such as Adobe DreamWeaver
Adobe Contribute (supported by Web Services), Cold Fusion,
Hotdog, etc. Check your web site pages with a web browser
(FireFox, Explorer, etc.) by using the File, Open File
menu option for Windows or Macintosh.
7. Test your web site pages for spelling, information content,
copyright infringement, correct WWW links, proper user
of USA logos and graphics, correct printing, display
in various browsers and required web publishing elements.
8. If your web site checks out, the next step is to upload
it to the web server. Read FTP Transfer in the Web
Publishing Links page for specific information.
FTP or Fetch (Mac) to the USA Web Server and transfer
your files into your assigned directory.
9. Now open a web browser and enter your URL address on
the USA Web Server and repeat your checks.
10. If you have problems with your web site pages, you can
correct them on your PC using an editor and re-upload
them to the web server. As a precaution, you should
backup your original files before you upload changes.
This way, if there is a problem you can restore the
11. When you are satisfied with your web site pages, e-mail
the USA Webmaster the URL, and name of your home page
and it will be linked to the appropriate section(s)
of the USA home page after review for required content.
you have questions about this procedure, please e-mail