Tips for Writing Alternative Descriptions for Images
Posted on July 21, 2022 by Web Services Department
Okay alt text: Students filming
Better alt text: USA journalism students filming an interview on campus.
- When adding the alternative description (alt text), think of it like you are describing the image to someone over the phone. They can't see it so what would you say about it?
- Any text over the image must be in the alt text because a person using a screen reader has no other way to get this information. Avoid using text over an image.
- Don't include "image of" or "photo of" in your alt text.
- Good alt text can give search engines more information to rank your website with. Use your keywords.
- You do not need text in the title field.
- Avoid using images as links. If you do need to link an image, the alt text should not describe the image. The alt text should convey the location and purpose of the link.
Share on Social Media