* USA students, faculty and staff serving in the community should follow the USA COVID-19 guidelines or the community site guidelines, whichever is more stringent. Refer to the USA COVID-19 site for additional information.
USA is committed to being a good neighbor. We recognize that university-community engagement enriches scholarship and research, enhances teaching and learning, and prepares an engaged workforce. The USA Office of Community Engagement provides support for faculty, students, staff, and community members working to build mutually beneficial relationships between USA and the community that contribute to the public good. Our areas of focus include service learning, volunteerism, community-engaged research and scholarship, and internships.
MLK Week of Unity & Service
Every year in January, the University of South Alabama community celebrates the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a Week of Unity & Service that incorporates community conversations, film screenings and discussions, volunteer service projects, and more. Our students, faculty, and staff, as well as our many community partners, come together to advance Dr. King’s values of compassion, courage, dedication, equality, freedom, harmony, and social justice.
In 2020, a Community Connect! event was held on January 17, in the USA Student Center Ballroom. This round table discussion was an opportunity to discuss Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s vision of the beloved community and how it can be achieved. Check out the video below.
Volunteerism and Service Learning with South Serves
Volunteer and serve in our community by using SOUTH SERVES, the Office of Community Engagement’s online volunteer portal.
- respond to the needs, or service opportunities, of our community by volunteering for agencies and organizations throughout the region
- manage a service learning course or experience
- participate in a service learning course
- explore to learn more about agencies and organizations with which you might want to volunteer or seek an internship
- post your own events and opportunities for community service or volunteering, both on and off campus
Explore SOUTH SERVES and reach out to us with any training requests or questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or (251) 460-6116. For video tutorials on how to use SOUTH SERVES, click here.