Office of Financial Aid -- Making Quality Education Affordable
Although the Office of Financial Aid is performing functions remotely, we are still committed to assisting students and parents with the federal student aid process during this uncertain time. Please feel free to send any questions or concerns that may arise to email@example.com.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING FEDERAL STUDENT LOAN PAYMENTS
DURING NATIONAL EMERGENCY
As part of the federal government’s response to COVID-19, students are now able to request to suspend their federal student loan payments until September 30, 2020 beginning March 13, 2020. The request process must be initiated with the student’s loan servicer. Students should log into https://studentaid.gov/ using their FSA ID and password to access the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), which provides contact information for loan servicer(s) as well as their entire history of federal student loans and grants. Additionally, https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus provides up to date information for federal student aid recipients as the response to COVID-19 continues to evolve.
The Office of Financial Aid encourages students to read the following press release for more specific information regarding the process for suspending federal student loan payments: https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/delivering-president-trumps-promise-secretary-devos-suspends-federal-student-loan-payments-waives-interest-during-national-emergency.
The Summer Aid Application is now available at https://www.southalabama.edu/departments/finaid/summeraid.html. The application will take approximately 5-10 minutes to complete.
- STUDENTS MUST BE LOGGED INTO THEIR JAGMAIL ADDRESS IN GOOGLE IN ORDER TO ACCESS THE SUMMER AID APPLICATION. Once submitted, students will receive a copy of their completed application at their JagMail address.
- The application is intended for students who would like to have their federal student loan eligibility reviewed for Summer 2020 as well as undergraduate students who would like to have their Pell Grant eligibility reviewed prior to registration.
- Students will have Pell Grant eligibility reviewed upon registration for Summer term, but will not be reviewed for federal loan eligibility unless the application is submitted indicating they want to be considered for loans.
Applications will be reviewed and processed within 3-5 business days. Students will be notified at their JagMail address when a determination has been made regarding their Summer 2020 federal aid eligibility.
The 2020 - 2021 FAFSA is now available! Listed below is an outline of the process students will need to complete in order to have an award offer made for the 2020 - 2021 academic year.
1. Get Organized:
- Apply for admission at University of South Alabama (USA). Students must be accepted before aid eligibility can be determined.
- Create a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) username and password at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm. FSA ID’s are used for electronic signatures. Parents of dependent students must
also create a FSA ID.
- For more information regarding the criteria the Department of Education uses to determine if a student is considered to be dependent, visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency.
2. Complete and Submit the FAFSA Online:
- Complete the FAFSA at https://fafsa.ed.gov or by using the myStudentAid app for iOS and Android. The FAFSA is available every October 1 so apply early!
- Avoid common errors by verifying personal information is entered correctly (name, date of birth, and social security number).
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to transfer tax information to the FAFSA.
- List USA in Step 6 of the FAFSA. USA’s school code is 001057.
- Both the student and parent must sign the FAFSA using their FSA ID’s if the student is dependent.
- Print a copy of the submitted information for future reference.
3. After Filing the FAFSA:
- Once the FAFSA has been received by USA, students will be notified through their JagMail account (if accepted for admission), or the email address listed on the FAFSA.
- Students should continue to check for emails and their PAWS account on a regular basis
for any additional requests for documents.
- Approximately 30% of all applicants are selected for verification by the Department of Education and additional documentation may be required before an aid offer can be processed.
4. Finalize Aid Offers:
- Aid Offer notifications will be sent to the student’s JagMail account. Students can also check the status of their aid offers at any time in PAWS.
- Accept/decline any aid offers in PAWS.
- If a student accepts Federal Direct Student Loans, they must complete loan requirements such as a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling at https://studentaid.gov using their FSA ID. Outstanding loan requirements will be listed in PAWS.