Office of Financial Aid -- Making Quality Education Affordable
We are committed to providing student financial assistance to eligible students to help pay the costs associated with attending college. As you navigate through our site, you will discover the various types of student financial assistance that are available through our department, the application procedures, eligibility requirements and the application deadline dates.
Fall 2019 Bookstore Charge period begins Friday, August 2nd and ends Friday, August 26th.
Students who (a) have been awarded Financial Aid by USA, and who (b) have excess funds after all tuition, fees, meals, and housing have been paid, may charge up to $1,500 (or the available balance, whichever is less) towards books at the USA Bookstore. The Bookstore will have a student's account balance available at checkout. Bookstore charges will be placed on the student's account and covered by Financial Aid disbursement.
FINAL PAYMENT DEADLINE FOR FALL 2019 TUITION AND FEES (including housing and meals): Friday, August 16th.
For additional payment deadlines and information on how to make payments, please refer to the Office of Student Accounting's website.
The 2019 - 2020 FAFSA is now available! Listed below is an outline of the process students will need to complete in order to have an award offer made for the 2019 - 2020 academic year.
1. Get Organized:
- Apply for admission at University of South Alabama (USA). Students must be accepted before aid eligibility can be determined.
- Create a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) username and password at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm. FSA ID’s are used for electronic signatures. Parents of dependent students must
also create a FSA ID.
- For more information regarding the criteria the Department of Education uses to determine if a student is considered to be dependent, visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency.
2. Complete and Submit the FAFSA Online:
- Complete the FAFSA at https://fafsa.ed.gov or by using the myStudentAid app for iOS and Android. The FAFSA is available every October 1 so apply early!
- Avoid common errors by verifying personal information is entered correctly (name, date of birth, and social security number).
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to transfer tax information to the FAFSA.
- List USA in Step 6 of the FAFSA. USA’s school code is 001057.
- Both the student and parent must sign the FAFSA using their FSA ID’s if the student is dependent.
- Print a copy of the submitted information for future reference.
3. After Filing the FAFSA:
- Once the FAFSA has been received by USA, students will be notified through their JagMail account (if accepted for admission), or the email address listed on the FAFSA. PLEASE NOTE: USA will not start processing FAFSA’s for the upcoming academic year until November 30.
- Students should continue to check for emails and their PAWS account on a regular basis for any additional requests for documents.
- Approximately 30% of all applicants are selected for verification by the Department of Education and additional documentation may be required before an aid offer can be processed.
4. Finalize Award:
- Awarding for the upcoming academic year will begin on or around February 15. Award notifications will be sent to the student’s JagMail account. Students can also check the status of their award any time in PAWS.
- Accept/decline any award offers in PAWS.
- If a student accepts Federal Direct Student Loans, they must complete loan requirements such as a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling at https://studentloans.gov using their FSA ID. Outstanding loan requirements will be listed in PAWS.