Office of Financial Aid -- Making Quality Education Affordable
We are committed to providing student financial assistance to eligible students to help pay the costs associated with attending college. As you navigate through our site, you will discover the various types of student financial assistance that are available through our department, the application procedures, eligibility requirements and the application deadline dates.
The 2019 - 2020 FAFSA is now available! Listed below is an outline of the process students will need to complete in order to have an award offer made for the 2019 - 2020 academic year.
1. Get Organized:
- Apply for admission at University of South Alabama (USA). Students must be accepted before aid eligibility can be determined.
- Create a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) username and password at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm. FSA ID’s are used for electronic signatures. Parents of dependent students must
also create a FSA ID.
- For more information regarding the criteria the Department of Education uses to determine if a student is considered to be dependent, visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency.
2. Complete and Submit the FAFSA Online:
- Complete the FAFSA at https://fafsa.ed.gov or by using the myStudentAid app for iOS and Android. The FAFSA is available every October 1 so apply early!
- Avoid common errors by verifying personal information is entered correctly (name, date of birth, and social security number).
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to transfer tax information to the FAFSA.
- List USA in Step 6 of the FAFSA. USA’s school code is 001057.
- Both the student and parent must sign the FAFSA using their FSA ID’s if the student is dependent.
- Print a copy of the submitted information for future reference.
3. After Filing the FAFSA:
- Once the FAFSA has been received by USA, students will be notified through their JagMail account (if accepted for admission), or the email address listed on the FAFSA. PLEASE NOTE: USA will not start processing FAFSA’s for the upcoming academic year until November 30.
- Students should continue to check for emails and their PAWS account on a regular basis for any additional requests for documents.
- Approximately 30% of all applicants are selected for verification by the Department of Education and additional documentation may be required before an aid offer can be processed.
4. Finalize Award:
- Awarding for the upcoming academic year will begin on or around February 15. Award notifications will be sent to the student’s JagMail account. Students can also check the status of their award any time in PAWS.
- Accept/decline any award offers in PAWS.
- If a student accepts Federal Direct Student Loans, they must complete loan requirements such as a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling at https://studentloans.gov using their FSA ID. Outstanding loan requirements will be listed in PAWS.
Students can complete the 2019-2020 FAFSA beginning October 1, 2018 for the 2019-2020 academic year at www.fafsa.gov. Students will be notified via JagMail when their 2019-2020 FAFSA has been received.
Listed below is a summary of key dates for submitting the FAFSA depending on when
students plan to attend USA:
|IF ATTENDING USA FROM||SUBMIT THIS FAFSA||SUBMIT THE FAFSA FROM||USING INCOME & TAX INFORMATION FROM|
|July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019||2018 - 2019||October 1, 2017 - June 30, 2019||2016|
|July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020||2019 - 2020||October 1, 2018 - June 30, 2020||2017|
Effective for the 2018-2019 academic year, any requests for adjustments to Federal Direct Loans (Subsidized, Unsubsidized, Parent PLUS and Graduate PLUS Loans) must be submitted in writing to the Office of Financial Aid. Requests can be submitted one of two ways:
(1) Students can send an email from their JagMail email address to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining their request. Jag Numbers should be in the subject line or the body of the email.
(2) Students can download, complete and physically sign the 2018-2019 Undergraduate Student Loan Adjustment Form or the 2018-2019 Graduate Student Loan Adjustment Form. These forms can also be accessed from the Forms page on the left hand navigation pane. Completed forms can be submitted in person or scanned to email@example.com, as well as mailed or faxed. The address and fax number to the Office of Financial Aid can be found at the bottom of the left hand navigation pane.
PLEASE NOTE: Students should allow 5 business days for their request to be processed. During peak processing times, the expected processing time may exceed 5 business days. INCOMPLETE FORMS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.