Based on feedback from our students and as a way to better meet public health recommendations for limited on-campus services, our in person student access has changed. Our teams have made important changes to our delivery of student support - to ensure students still have access to the same great service.
In addition to our physical location on campus in Meisler Hall, you can also call, email, chat with us in Live Chat, and even request a virtual appointment - all from the comfort of where you are.
NOW AVAILABLE: 2021-2022 Income Re-Evaluation Requests
At USA, we recognize the impact of COVID-19 on our Jaguar Family. Because the FAFSA uses income information from two years prior, federal student aid offers may not truly reflect your current financial situation.
The Department of Education permits the Office of Financial Aid to conduct Income Re-Evaluations, which allows consideration for:
- Parent or student income/job loss;
- Death of parent or spouse since taxes were filed;
- Medical, dental or nursing home expenses not covered by insurance
All requests for Income Re-Evaluations are submitted through the USA Financial Aid Verification Portal after receiving your initial aid offer. To initiate your request:
- Log into the Verification Portal using your JagNet credentials;
- Confirm your 4 key identifiers from your 2021-2022 FAFSA (first name, last name, date of birth and social security number);
- Click the +/- Request box in the upper right hand corner of the page and select the green plus sign for Family Contribution Appeal for 2021-2022.
- Complete the WebForm and upload documentation to support your circumstances.
Appeals will be reviewed within 7-14 business days once all documentation has been submitted. Notification of your appeal decision will be sent to your JagMail.
Preparing for the FAFSA:
The 2021 - 2022 FAFSA is now available at https://fafsa.gov. Listed below is an outline of the process students will need to complete in order to have an aid offer made for the 2021 - 2022 academic year.
1. Get Organized:
- Apply for admission at University of South Alabama (USA). Students must be accepted before aid eligibility can be determined.
- Create a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) username and password at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm. FSA ID’s are used for electronic signatures. Parents of dependent students must
also create a FSA ID.
- For more information regarding the criteria the Department of Education uses to determine
if a student is considered to be dependent, visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency.
- For more information regarding the criteria the Department of Education uses to determine if a student is considered to be dependent, visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency.
2. Complete and Submit the FAFSA Online:
- Complete the FAFSA at https://fafsa.gov or by using the myStudentAid app for iOS and Android. The FAFSA is available every October 1 so apply early!
- Avoid common errors by verifying personal information is entered correctly (name, date of birth, and social security number).
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to transfer tax information to the FAFSA.
- List USA in Step 6 of the FAFSA. USA’s school code is 001057.
- Both the student and parent must sign the FAFSA using their FSA ID’s if the student is dependent.
- Print a copy of the submitted information for future reference.
3. After Filing the FAFSA:
- Once the FAFSA has been received by USA, students will be notified through their JagMail account (if accepted for admission), or the email address listed on the FAFSA.
- Students should continue to check for emails and their PAWS account on a regular basis
for any additional requests for documents.
- Approximately 30% of all applicants are selected for verification by the Department of Education and additional documentation may be required before
an aid offer can be processed.
- Approximately 30% of all applicants are selected for verification by the Department of Education and additional documentation may be required before an aid offer can be processed.
4. Finalize Aid Offers:
- Aid Offer notifications will be sent to the student’s JagMail account. Students can also check the status of their aid offers at any time in PAWS.
- Accept/decline any aid offers in PAWS.
- If a student accepts Federal Direct Student Loans, they must complete loan requirements such as a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling at https://studentaid.gov using their FSA ID. Outstanding loan requirements will be listed in PAWS.
Students attending USA for Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and/or Summer 2021 should complete the 2020-2021 FAFSA using 2018 income and tax information. The 2020-2021 FAFSA is available to complete at https://fafsa.gov until June 30, 2021.
Students attending USA for Fall 2021, Spring 2022 and Summer 2022 should complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA using 2019 income and tax information. The 2021-2022 FAFSA is available to complete at https://fafsa.gov until June 30, 2022.
As part of the federal government’s response to COVID-19, students are now able to request to suspend their federal student loan payments until September 30, 2021 beginning March 13, 2020. The request process must be initiated with the student’s loan servicer. Students should log into https://studentaid.gov/ using their FSA ID and password to access the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), which provides contact information for loan servicer(s) as well as their entire history of federal student loans and grants. Additionally, https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus provides up to date information for federal student aid recipients as the response to COVID-19 continues to evolve.
The Office of Financial Aid encourages students to read the following press release for more specific information regarding the process for suspending federal student loan payments: https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/delivering-president-trumps-promise-secretary-devos-suspends-federal-student-loan-payments-waives-interest-during-national-emergency.