All students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to participate in Common Read/Common World, USA's voluntary Common Read Experience. Each fall semester, the book selection may be used in First-Year Experience and various courses of the faculty's choosing. There will be events surrounding the book and its topics during the academic year, including lectures, discussions, films, and performances. Please check back frequently to learn more about this program and ways you can get involved!
USA Common Read 2014-15
The Common Read Selection Committee is pleased to announce its 2014-2015 selection, "Listening is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps Project", first published in 2007. "Listening" was selected after much deliberation by a committee composed of USA faculty, students and staff. Fifteen titles were reviewed during the process.
"Listening" fits the parameters established for USA's Common Read; including the following:
- Potential to engage students and spark discussion
- Appeal to a wide range of students
- Possibilities for classroom use, including the First Year Experience classes
- Inclusion of cross-cultural education, awareness, knowledge, and sensitivity
- Possibilities for campus programming
- Relevance for student life
Other institutions who have used "Listening" include the University of Mississippi, UNC Charlotte, Iowa State University, University of Toledo, and Evergreen State College.