The University of South Alabama, with a global reach and special focus on the Gulf
Coast, strives to make a difference in the lives of those it serves through promoting
discovery, health, and learning.
The University of South Alabama affirms the following core values as essential to the accomplishment of its mission:
- Diversity and a Global Perspective
- Freedom in the Pursuit of Knowledge
- Transparency and Participation in Decision-Making
The University of South Alabama will be a leading comprehensive public university internationally recognized for educational, research, and health care excellence as well as for its positive intellectual, cultural, and economic impact on those it serves.
Key Long-term Strategic Objective
The following long term objective is important for the successful attainment of each of the University’s goals:
To reach an enrollment of 20,000 students within ten years in a fiscally responsible manner while strengthening high academic standards.
- Maintain and enhance an innovative and vibrant educational environment that supports teaching and promotes learning.
- Advance the research, discovery, and creative activities of the University.
- Enrich the quality of student life and the living/learning environment.
- Deliver high-quality health care programs that enhance the health and well- being of the community.
- Strengthen the financial standing of the University using strategies that recognize and address financial and market realities in higher education.
- Expand and extend the cultural, public service, athletic, and economic development impacts of the University.
The Strategic Plan will be reviewed and, if indicated, modified on an annual basis. Upon approval of the plan and with input from stakeholders, metrics and criteria will be established for each objective and all units will set related outcomes and develop action strategies that connect to the plan.
Goal 1: Maintain and enhance an innovative and vibrant educational environment that supports teaching and promotes learning.
- Improve academic success among undergraduate and graduate students and promote student engagement with learning.
- Improve student learning outcomes.
- Recruit a diverse body of students who are well prepared for college study.
- Increase innovation, efficiency, and instructional resources for educational programs.
- Provide a welcoming and supportive environment for all members of the University community.
- Recruit, recognize, develop, and retain high quality faculty.
- Develop and maintain high-quality online and blended courses and programs to accommodate wide-ranging learner needs and experiences.
- Increase the incorporation of global perspectives into the educational environment.
Goal 2: Advance the research, discovery, and creative activities of the University.
- Increase the opportunity and success for USA faculty, post-doctoral fellows, and students in seeking and carrying out transformative research, discovery, and creative activities.
- Advance entrepreneurial activities that support the development of new technologies.
- Increase the economic and societal impact of discovery produced by USA faculty, post-doctoral fellows, and students on the Gulf Coast region, nationally and internationally.
Goal 3: Enrich the quality of student life and the living/learning environment.
- Increase student engagement in University activities by providing and promoting quality services and programs.
- Provide a safe, supportive, inclusive, and civil environment for all students that fosters a sense of community within the University.
- Support and retain a diverse community of learners to enhance campus life and create opportunities to develop students as ethical and responsible leaders who make positive impacts in the community.
- Provide quality and accessible facilities to address the growing service and programmatic needs of the University.
- Increase faculty and staff participation with student organizations and activities.
- Increase connections between student and academic groups/activities/programs.
Goal 4: Deliver high-quality health care programs that enhance the health and well- being of the community.
- Achieve exceptional patient quality outcomes for USA Hospitals, Clinics, and the Mitchell Cancer Institute in comparison to peer groups.
- Achieve exceptional patient satisfaction in USA Hospitals, Clinics, and the Mitchell Cancer Institute.
- Adapt to changes in reimbursement resulting from health care reform as evidenced by USA Hospitals, Clinics, and the Mitchell Cancer Institute being financially balanced.
Goal 5: Strengthen the financial standing of the University using strategies that recognize and address financial and market realities in higher education.
- Reach the target level of student enrollment while balancing revenue generation with the resources necessary to strengthen academic quality.
- Maximize efforts to secure increased State appropriation funding.
- Increase extramural funding from grants and contracts.
- Continue to expand and strengthen the University’s fund-raising programs.
- Collaborate with the USA Foundation to increase institutional support.
- Be fiscally prudent and pursue opportunities for gains in efficiency.
Goal 6: Expand and extend the cultural, public service, athletic, and economic development impacts of the University.
- Increase the number and variety of cultural programs and presentations.
- Increase the scope and impact of USA public service programs.
- Increase the number of attendees at University athletic and cultural events.
- Provide the most accurate, objective, and reliable data, impact analysis, and projections in the University service area.
- Develop strong partnerships with organizations directly involved in regional economic, civic, and cultural development.