South Students Receive Top Science Awards
Posted on March 13, 2017 by Joy Washington
A number of University of South Alabama undergraduate and graduate students won awards for their outstanding paper and poster presentations at the 94th annual meeting of the Alabama Academy of Science, held at USA in February.
The annual meeting for scientists — as well as graduate, undergraduate and high school students who are aspiring scientists — is designed to promote scholarly interaction, the exchange of scientific information, and scientific research within Alabama. The Alabama Academy of Science was organized in Mobile in 1924 with 40 charter members representing academic and governmental interests in science.
The event’s keynote speaker was Edward Osborne Wilson, university research professor emeritus at Harvard University, whose research has explored human origins, human nature, and human interactions. Wilson has also been a pioneer in spearheading efforts to preserve and protect the biodiversity of this planet. Also speaking at the conference was Catherine Zivanov, a 2016 USA graduate and current medical student at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine.
The USA students receiving awards were:
- Emma Rhodes, paper, first place
- Molly Miller, paper, second place
- Hannah Brooks, poster, second place
- Taylor Hamby, poster, second place,
Physics and Mathematics
- Kevin Ingles, paper, first place
Engineering and Computer Science
- Baha Yakupaglu, poster, first place
- Luke Smith, poster, second place
- Sarah Taylor, poster, first place
- Lauren Wheat, poster, second place
- James Norris, poster, first place
- Meghan Sergeant, paper, first place
- Ebony Johnson, paper, second place
- Rachael Short, poster, first place
- Ravi Rajendra, poster, second place
Commissioner, Diplomat to Address GraduatesThursday - April 27, 2017Mobile's Merceria Ludgood and the EU's David...
$100 Million and CountingMonday - April 24, 2017The University of South Alabama reaches a milestone...
Expanding Access to Education, OpportunityMonday - April 24, 2017Abraham Mitchell, whose generous gift initiated a...
Rural Medicine Practice Made PossibleMonday - April 24, 2017The DeBakey Foundation has provided the USA College...
Upgrades to Parking, Pipes, Roads, RoofsThursday - April 20, 2017Look for an increase in construction on main campus...