USA Takes a Stand Against Sexual Assault
Posted on April 13, 2015 by Joy Washington
The University of South Alabama joins a national effort in taking a stand and observing April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The USA sponsored events are free and open to the public.
The goal of hosting numerous campus events and social media campaigns during April 13-May 1 is to create a safer campus community by increasing the level of awareness to prevent sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking, along with addressing the importance of bystander intervention.
Sexual Assault Awareness Month is also supported by the USA Violence Prevention Alliance, a volunteer-based committee of campus and community leaders that offers prevention and awareness programs.
Several USA students are featured in the “Make Your Move” social media campaign, created in Missoula, Mont. USA students designed the posters and shared them with the community organization, which posted the digital images on the “Make Your Move” Facebook page.
USA’s Kappa Alpha Order will present a film screening of “The Hunting Ground” at 8 p.m. Wednesday, April 22 in the Student Center Ballroom. This film shows a startling expose’ of sexual assault on campuses around the country, institutional cover ups and how it affects the victims and their families.
For more information about the film, visit www.thehuntinggroundfilm.com.
The film is being screened in conjunction with USA’s Violence Prevention Awareness Month Sexual Assault Awareness Month campaign.
“The gentleman of Kappa Alpha Order hope this film brings the University community together in order to push the conversation and collective action further than ever before,” said Dr. Nick Gossett, faculty advisor for Kappa Alpha Order.
Social media campaigns will be held the following days:
- April 13-17, “Know Your IX,” visit www.knowyourix.org
- April 20-2413-17, “It’s On Us,” Take the pledge at www.itsonus.org
- April 27-May 1, “Make Your Move,” https://www.facebook.com/
The “Clothesline Project” serves to address the issue of violence against women. The campus community and general public are invited to decorate a shirt to be displayed in the Student Center. The shirt creation opportunities:
- April 17, 7 p.m.-Jags After Dark, Student Center
- April 20, 5 p.m.-New Hall Lobby
- April 21, 10 a.m.- Student Center Mall
Here are additional Sexual Assault Awareness events:
- April 18, 8 a.m.-until, “Kicking out Sexual Violence” kickball tournament to be held at Sage Park, 2900 Dauphin Street, Mobile. Participants should form a team to help raise money for the Rape Crisis Center of Mobile. For more details and to register, call (251) 431-5100 or email Shawna Mayo at firstname.lastname@example.org. This event is presented by the Rape Crisis Center of Mobile.
- April 21, noon-“Walk Out to End Violence” event will begin in front of the Student Center. Participants will bring their Clothesline Project shirt and walk for 30 minutes on campus to raise awareness to end the violence. The shirts will then be displayed at the Student Center at the end of the walk. For more details for disability accommodations, please call (251) 460-7144.
- April 22, 8 p.m.- the film, “The Hunting Ground,” will be screened in the Student Center Ballroom. This film shows a startling expose’ of sexual assault on U.S. campuses. This film comes from the Academy Award-nominated film making team behind “The Invisible War.” “The Hunting Ground” has power to fuel the movement to end campus assault. This event is sponsored by USA’s Kappa Alpha Order.
The USA Sexual Assault Month events are sponsored by the USA Violence Prevention Alliance, Student Center, Jaguar Productions, USA Housing and Dining, the Rape Crisis Center of Mobile, Kappa Alpha Order and The Prowl.
Latest University News
Meet State's Top Civil Engineering StudentPeyton Posey: Alabama's civil engineering student of the year, communi...
March 16, 2018
South Opens Jag Fitness TrailThe 8-foot wide, 1.5 mile crushed stone path includes three exercise s...
March 15, 2018
Cogswell Named Associate VP for University DevelopmentJoshua Cogswell served as the director of university development for ...
March 15, 2018
The Call of His Own TrumpetDr. Peter Wood, professor of music, built his own trumpet with a hamme...
March 12, 2018