text only
University of South Alabama
Home Index Search Directories Faq
Disability Services



Student Rights

Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 any person who "...has a physical, emotional, or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of life's major activities; has a record of disability or is regarded as having a disability" is considered to have a special need.

The rights to all University of South Alabama eligible students are listed below:

  • To not be denied access due to a disability
  • To receive reasonable accommodations that provide provide equal opportunity
  • To have access to auxiliary aides/assistive technology
  • To not be counseled toward "more restrictive career objectives"
  • To receive assistance from the Disability Services office in removing any physical, academic, or attitudinal barriers
  • To not be discriminated against due to a disability or receive any retaliatory discrimination



Each student registered with Disability Services is expected to inform all of his or her instructors of the need for classroom accommodations. Accommodations are provided with the support of the Disability Services office.

All course requirements as directed by the instructor should be accomplished by the student. The office will not seek to diminish the integrity of any course.


The responsibilities of all University of South Alabama eligible students are listed below:

  • To identify themselves to the Disability Services office
  • To provide documentation of disability
  • To initiate requests for accommodation by providing a certification of disability letter to faculty within the first two weeks of each semester
  • To provide a minimum of a two-week notice for all major accommodation requests (special accommodations of equipment may need more time!!)
  • To provide one-week notice to the instructor and Disability Services office when testing in the testing center
  • To assume responsibility for testing procedures by notifying faculty and Disability Services accordingly
  • To provide for his/her personal independent living needs or other personal disability-related needs
  • To assume personal responsibility for meeting with faculty and requesting assistance through supplemental services

University of South Alabama - Mobile Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-7212
For questions or comments Contact Us
Last date changed: August 6, 2012 9:23 AM

University of South Alabama