Historic Markers in the City of Mobile

There are three historic markers located in the Springhill Avenue area. The area is small enough to allow interested parties to view the markers via a walking tour. The area is bordered by Springhill Avenue, McGregor Avenue, Old Shell Road, and College Lane.


St. Paul's Episcopal Church

Marker Number 57: St. Paul's Episcopal Church.

Location: Old Shell Road (1/2 block west of Tuthill).

Text: Established 1858. Land acquired 1850. Chapel completed 1859. Design attributed to parishioners John C. Dawson and Albert Stein, a distinguished hydraulics engineer. Consecrated 1861 by First Bishop of Mississippi, William Mercer Green. Renowned Richard Hooker Wilmer, Second Bishop of Alabama, only bishop consecrated in Episcopal Church, C.S.A., a founder of Mobile Infirmary and Wilmer Hall, ministered here 1865-1900.
Historic Mobile Preservation Society 1969




Spring Hill College

Marker Number 58: Spring Hill College.

Location: Old Shell Road (1/2 block west of Tuthill).

Text: Founded 1830. The first institution of higher learning in Alabama. Federal troops bivouacked here after Mobile fell, April 12, 1865. The college has been under the Jesuit Fathers since 1847.
Historic Mobile Preservation Society 1951



Springhill Graveyard

Marker Number 59: Springhill Graveyard.

Location: Mordecai Lane.

Text: Established 1844 by deed of Judge of County Court of Mobile County. Administered by Spring Hill Cemetery Association.
Erected by Spring Hill Garden Club and
Historic Mobile Preservation Society 1971