In addition to the general Graduate School standards, requirements for admission are:
1. A completed application for admission to the Graduate School.
2. One official copy of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
3. Two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with the applicant’s academic and/or professional abilities. In addition, the letters should reference the applicant’s dispositions necessary to help P-12 students learn.
4. A two-page narrative from the applicant indicating the applicant’s goal(s) and purpose(s) for pursuing the field of English for Speakers of Other Languages, and the dispositions that make the applicant a good candidate for helping P-12 students learn.
5. Valid Certification: For the master’s degree, baccalaureate-level or master's level professional educator certification in a teaching field
6. Results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), including the written component (required of all applicants, regardless of degrees and certificates previously earned).
7. Submission of resume with chronology of professional employment.
8. International students are required to have a passing score for TOEFL and an evaluation of the foreign credentials from an approved foreign credential evaluation service.
Applications, transcripts, letters, and all supporting materials should be submitted to the Office of Admissions, 2500 Meisler Hall, University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama 36688-0002 by the deadlines noted above. Final admission decision involves evaluation of the following: grade-point average, scores on the GRE, letters of recommendation, applicant's statement of career goal(s) and purpose(s), professional experience, and program enrollment and availability.
Prospective students who hold a teaching certificate at the "B" or "A" level may apply for admission and complete the requirements as outlined at: http://www.southalabama.edu/coe/forms/esla.pdf.