Personal Leave of Absence

If you are a regular employee, with proper approvals, you may be granted a personal leave of absence, normally not to exceed 90 calendar days, provided that it is operationally feasible and you have been employed at the University without any interruption in service for at least six full months. If you are a regular employee and want to take such a leave, you must submit a written request to your supervisor, in advance, providing the reason for your leave, and the beginning and ending dates of your leave. In addition, you must submit to your supervisor a completed Leave of Absence Request Form. You must also obtain approval of your Department Head prior to taking personal leave. Your supervisor will then forward the leave of absence request form and the supporting documentation to Human Resources for review. 

It is your responsibility to notify and communicate directly with your supervisor of your intent to return to work or any changes in your leave status prior to the ending date of your personal leave. Failure to do so will be considered a voluntary resignation. In unusual circumstances, consideration may be given to a request for a longer leave of absence when it is believed to be in the best interest of the University.

The benefits which you earn prior to your personal leave of absence remain during your leave, but no additional benefits such as vacation, sick, or PTO hours are accrued during your personal leave of absence. Length of service will continue to accumulate during a personal leave of absence but will not be used when computing vacation, sick and PTO hours. Your group medical, dental, life and disability insurance may be continued while you are in a personal leave of absence status. However, if you are in an unpaid status, you must pay the total cost of these benefits. It is your responsibility to make arrangements for payments with the Payroll Office to continue your coverage prior to beginning a leave of absence.