Employee of the Quarter Program Information
Service Excellence Award for Outstanding Employees in the University General Division
The University General Division Employee of the Quarter Program has been developed out of a desire to highlight the exceptional efforts of staff employees working within the General Division. Such individuals stand out among their peers not only for the successful execution of their work assignments, but also because of their dedication, creativity, and actions toward improving the atmosphere all work in, while also enhancing the welfare of students and fellow employees and faculty.
The Employee of the Quarter will demonstrate by example the following:
- By promoting team efforts and interacting well with coworkers and others;
- By supporting the fulfillment of the mission of the University of South Alabama;
- By their customer service both internally and externally to include volunteer and/or community service;
- By striving for exceptional performance and quality of work; and by promoting excellence in others.
The Employee of the Quarter program will recognize one staff employee per quarter. The selected recipient will be honored with the award at the beginning of March, June, September and December for the preceding three months.
Nominations are due by the first business day of the month preceding the award month (i.e., February, May, August and November). Nominations will remain active for consideration for two Employee of the Quarter award cycles (two quarters).
- Nominees must be in continuous employment for a minimum of at least one year.
- Nominees must be a regular full-time University General staff employee.
- Former Employees of the Quarter are eligible for subsequent nomination twelve (12) months following selection.
- Employees are eligible for nomination for the Employee of the Quarter award independent of ethnicity, race, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, age, faith, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, physical appearance or disability, or veteran status.
- Nominations to be considered should be in the format outlined in the Employee of the Quarter nomination form.
- Nominations for the Employee of the Quarter may be submitted by all employees, including division heads, administrators, faculty, staff and students.
- Nominations are encouraged for staff employees who exhibit exceptional performance and who inspire excellence among others.
- Self-nominations are not acceptable and are inconsistent with the spirit of the Employee of the Quarter program.
The Employee of the Quarter recipient will be awarded:
- A $500 award (subject to applicable payroll taxes)
- An Employee of the Quarter designated parking space for the quarter
- A certificate of recognition
- Invitation to be recognized at the next regularly scheduled Board of Trustees Meeting
- A copy of the recipient’s nomination form will be placed in the recipient’s personnel file
Selection of the Employee of the Quarter
- Nominations must be received by the first business day of the month preceding the award month (i.e., February, May, August and November).
- Human Resources will assist in confirming eligibility and to ensure that each nominee is in good standing with no current disciplinary actions.
- Each nomination will be considered equally by the Selection Committee.
- The Selection Committee will select the award recipient based on the following criteria:
- Work Relationship – promotes team efforts, interacts well with coworkers and others
- Achievement of objectives – how does this individual support the fulfillment of the mission of the University of South Alabama
- Service/Customer Relations – customer service relations both internally and externally; and volunteer and/or community service
- Performance – strives for exceptional performance and quality of work; and by promoting excellence in others.
- All committee members will keep the name of the selected Employee of the Quarter in confidence, pending the official presentation.
- All committee members are expected to attend all the selection meetings.