'Advocacy' Highlights Public Speaking Contest
Posted on May 11, 2017
The University of South Alabama’s department of communication, the College of Arts and Sciences and Pearson Education recently sponsored its annual High School Public Speaking Contest in the University’s Student Center Ballroom. This year, there were 31 participants from five local schools. Students in the 9th-12th grades competed in the contest.
Each student created a speech centered on “Advocacy: What is a cause that I would like to fight for or already support?” Each speech lasted five minutes and was judged on creativity, clarity, organization and delivery.
"This contest for several years has encouraged the education of public speaking in local high schools," said Dr. James Aucoin, professor and chair of the communication department. "And it provides an excellent platform from which to show off the University of South Alabama campus to potential future students."
The panel of judges included 21 individuals comprised of faculty, staff and alumni from USA’s communication department and local professionals. The top three winners of the competition were:
- Siddiqah Abdullah of Murphy High School is the first place winner and recipient of a $100 gift card.
- Marie Doyle of the Alabama School of Mathematics and Science is the second place winner and recipient of a $75 gift card.
- Faith Wheeler of Murphy is the third place winner and recipient of a $50 gift card.
The three finalists who received $25 gift cards were:
- Danielle Rizk, St. Paul's Episcopal School
- Caitlyn Bailey, Murphy High School
- Ladi Fagbongbe, St. Paul's Episcopal School
Latest University News
Social Justice and Perseverance Scholarships AwardedAnhelina Lukovenko, who emigrated from Ukraine as a child, and Kenya V...
March 24, 2023
5 Things to Know About HoliThe Indian Student Association welcomes students, faculty and staff to...
March 23, 2023
Engineering IngenuityConcrete canoes and lightweight bridges carry challenges at the Gulf C...
March 14, 2023
5 Questions To Ask About Campus HousingBefore picking a roommate or requesting a specific hall, there are som...
March 14, 2023